Big Bren

Default Another Garmin Question

Hi all
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 185 sounder and am trying to get the Waypoints and
tracks from the unit to the Pc. I have the proper connection from the unit
to the Computer and have tried to use easygps and flexgps to get the
waypoints and tracks to edit and save .Anybody out there who can help would
be appreciated but please keep it as simple as possible as I am not as
computer literate as my spell checker makes me out.
Many Thanks
Brendan

Dennis Pogson

Big Bren wrote:
Hi all
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 185 sounder and am trying to get the Waypoints
and tracks from the unit to the Pc. I have the proper connection from
the unit to the Computer and have tried to use easygps and flexgps to
get the waypoints and tracks to edit and save .Anybody out there who
can help would be appreciated but please keep it as simple as
possible as I am not as computer literate as my spell checker makes
me out.
Many Thanks
Brendan

Your Garmin input/output protocol has to be set according to the
instructions in Easygps or Flexgps. The setting should be either
Garmin/Garmin or garmin/nmea, I don't know which since I don't use these
programs. Look for a page in your Garmin labelled i/o setup or something
similar. Change the settings using the correct key on your Garmin.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

JimL

Brendan,

I don't know anything about the 'Garmin GPSMAP 185 sounder', but
I suggest checking out G7toWin. You can get it he
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm#Whyg7to

After performing a software upgrade on one of my eTrex last year
and losing all waypoints and tracks, I wanted something to backup
this data. It's very simple to use and you can upload to your gps
just as easy.

-JimL

Big Bren wrote:
Hi all
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 185 sounder and am trying to get the Waypoints and
tracks from the unit to the Pc. I have the proper connection from the unit
to the Computer and have tried to use easygps and flexgps to get the
waypoints and tracks to edit and save .Anybody out there who can help would
be appreciated but please keep it as simple as possible as I am not as
computer literate as my spell checker makes me out.
Many Thanks
Brendan

Larry W4CSC

Me, too......(sigh)

But, then I began reading my MANUAL and found out our 185 would ONLY
accept waypoints in GARMIN FORMAT, not NMEA, even though it was set to
NMEA......DAMMIT.

If you have a system that can talk to the Garmin in its proprietary
GRMN (look on options menus) format, it will accept the waypoints from
your confuser.

Lucky for us, the Raymarine RL70CRC Plus radar/chart plotter DOES talk
NMEA with our Yeoman and confuser...(c;

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:01:23 -0000, "Big Bren"
wrote:

Hi all
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 185 sounder and am trying to get the Waypoints and
tracks from the unit to the Pc. I have the proper connection from the unit
to the Computer and have tried to use easygps and flexgps to get the
waypoints and tracks to edit and save .Anybody out there who can help would
be appreciated but please keep it as simple as possible as I am not as
computer literate as my spell checker makes me out.
Many Thanks
Brendan

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!