Steve

Default Furuno Track Ball sticks

I'm installing a 2 yo Furuno 1721 mkII and everything seems to be in good
condition except a sticky track ball..

Intially it wouldn't roll in any direction, eventually I got it to roll in
the vertical plane and now it works intermitantly in the horizontal.. This
seems to be a mechanical problem since the ball is actually loose in the
socket but when you push on it to roll, it feels like the tires on the pots
keeping it from rolling..

I notice also that when it is working it is not very smooth and difficult to
position the cursor..

Without opening it up, I think maybe the pots may have corrosion between the
shaft and bushing or bearing..

Has anyone ever worked on or explored a track ball set up???

Is there am cleaning or maintenance required on a track ball (the manual
doesn't mention it).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

My first suggestion is to check with Foruno because the ball system is
supposed to be protected against from corrosion. Even if the warranty is
expired they may still take responsibility for the problem. At the least,
they should be able to get the information you need to attack the problem
from the horse's mouth. Good luck. Fred

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

[...]

The trackball doesn't use POTs for encoding position. It usees
Optical encoders connected to the little tires that the ball turns
when it moves. You just need to clean the little tires so that they
turn smoothly when the trackball moves. Alchohol works well for
this.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Steve

Thanks Bruce..

BTW Don Sr. at G&L says hi.

Steve

Rick

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

[...]

use Q-tips dipped in Alcohol to clean the rollers--sort of like cleaning
dirty mouse.

rick