spdevel

Default PDA GPS Receivers...

Do you use an external antenna with the Navman? And how does it
track compared to the Garmin?

I had the Navman at first and was happy with it. Then I got a Bluetooth GPS
(Emtac although there are many others). The Bluetooth GPS is vastly
superior in time-to-first-fix as well as accuracy. There are a couple of
web sites that give reviews of GPS devices and compare them. Check out
http://www.gpspassion.com/en/hardware/gpslist.htm for a pretty complete
table. From that table, you can link to reviews for the different devices.

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:52:22 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

That's a sailboat right? Those floatie things with the big sticks in
the middle and the huge bed sheets? ;)

Underwear hangin from the lines.....yeah. I'm going out on one at
noon with a raven-haired beauty I spent New Years Eve partying with.

Beats catchin' those $8000-a-piece fish by a mile!.....(c;

Larry W4CSC

Knowing how computers crash, including PDAs, we back up The Cap'n on
the notebook with a Raymarine RL70CRC Plus chartplotter and keep our
paper charts running by using a Yeoman that I disassembled from its
foam portable laptop and stuck to the bottom of the mahogany chart
table lid on Lionheart, an Amel Sharki 41 ketch.

You guys ever see a Yeoman? I know where there's one for sale for
$150, real cheap!

http://www.yeomanuk.co.uk/prodmar/sport.htm

You can plug the cheapest GPS into its data input and it will put your
position dead on the spot on any nautical chart after a simple 3-point
calibration. It doesn't require any special charts at all. The
calibration scales the Yeoman to any size chart. After calibration,
when you move the puck around on the chart, its target lat/long is
displayed on the LCD. Press one button and you can make a waypoint or
a series of them to make a route, just like these little, hard-to-read
gadgets. Press another button and it goes from lat/long (x,y) to
azimuth and distance (polar). You can measure from your GPS position
to where the puck is by simply looking at the display....course and
distance.

Big difference is you have a permanent paper chart already plotted.
No copying is necessary. Yeoman accuracy is the width of your pencil
you put through the hole in the puck. Many commercial and military
interests across the planet use them. Works great!

On Lionheart, I have the Yeoman's output hooked to my network
multiplexer so you can create waypoints on the chart and it shows up
on the Raymarine chart plotter at the helm on the radar display and on
the Dell Latitude notebook's The Cap'n, wherever it is sitting because
I have it on a wireless LAN running virtual serial port drivers in
background. An RS-232 to Ethernet adapter ($149) feeds the boat's
intranet via a Netgear wireless router....(c;

We love our toys....

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:26:13 GMT, (Rick
Morel) wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:01:25 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Anybody have any experience with these little devices?

I'm speaking of the iPAQ series PDA/handheld computers and the Navman
GPS receiver with the Maptech charts.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 03:19:51 GMT,
(Larry W4CSC) wrote:
Wow! That costs about the same as a Beneteau Bavaria....(c;

Almost :-) Seriously, I saved money. "Final Step" has a fixed mount
Garmin 162 mapping GPS. I wanted color. A 176C + memory card + what I
needed with Bluechart would have been $2,000. I already had the
Maptech charts I needed. Cost was $600 for the IPAQ - I think they're
down to about $400 now, and $300 for the Navman with Pocket Navigator.
I already had a couple 256M Flash Cards, but I think they're about
50-bucks.

Works out fine. The 162 has Waterways and Lights and talks to the
autopilot, the IPAQ right next to it has full color "regular" charts.

Rick

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:44:37 GMT, "spdevel" wrote:

Do you use an external antenna with the Navman? And how does it
track compared to the Garmin?

I had the Navman at first and was happy with it. Then I got a Bluetooth GPS
(Emtac although there are many others). The Bluetooth GPS is vastly
superior in time-to-first-fix as well as accuracy. There are a couple of
web sites that give reviews of GPS devices and compare them. Check out
http://www.gpspassion.com/en/hardware/gpslist.htm for a pretty complete
table. From that table, you can link to reviews for the different devices.

Are these devices WAAS-GPS or just GPS? We're using a Raymarine
Raystar 120 for the master WAAS-GPS, here. The whole GPS is built
into the little antenna mounted next to the helm out of the weather.
They have SeaTalk and NMEA models that simply put out all the
statements. Accuracy is 3 meters! Click a bouy as a waypoint and the
boat will run right over it....

Rick Morel

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:04:47 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:
A couple of questions:

Do you use an external antenna with the Navman? And how does it
track compared to the Garmin?

Just the built in antenna. Works fine in the cockpit (sailboat) and
below (fiberglass sailboat) :-)

Both are "right on"; both are WAAS. Having said that, there are some
charts/maps on each that are off here and there. Not the same ones
necessarily. Consistantly off exactly the same, so that says it's the
chart itself, not where the GPS's think they are.