Gary Schafer

Default Antenna Ratings

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:00:34 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
"Changing the height of the antenna above the ground will change the
current flow assuming that the power to the antenna is constant."

Again, it would appear that the "ground plane/wave" is not
insignificant.

Now, as I understand it, at VHF frequencies, the methodology of
providing energy to the antenna (loading/feed) is not as important to
the generation/reception of the signal as is height. In fact, if I
read the pattern charts correctly, the height of the antenna has more
to do with the lobe pattern (the donut you were discussing) than the
method of feeding the antenna.

Yes/No?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

The method of feeding the antenna has nothing to do with the take off
angle of an antenna.

The stuff you are reading in the handbook about ground effect on
vertical angle are discussing HF antennas where due to the low height
compared to wavelength and the propagation method at hf the ground has
a great effect.

An antenna at VHF is usually several wavelengths above ground and
ground has little effect on take off angle. Given a 1/4 wave ground
plane antenna with radials at 90 degrees, the ground plane of that
antenna will be the controlling factor. It does tilt the angle up a
little from what a 1/2 wave dipole would be.

If you take the ground radials and bend them down and folded over the
coax feed line so that they are vertical you then have a half wave
center fed vertical dipole antenna.
This particular version would have the coax going up through the
center of the folded down ground radials. A tube or pipe could be
substituted for the folded over ground radials. In most cases that is
exactly what is done. A metal tube is used in place of the radials.
This is commonly referred to as a "coaxial sleeve antenna". Just about
all of the fiberglass type VHF antennas have some form of this type of
ground plane in them.

Another type of 1/2 wave vertical antenna that does not need a ground
plane is one that is fed at the end of the 1/2 wave length rather than
at the center as above. The METZ type half wave is one such type. It
uses a coil at the feed end to transform the low impedance of the coax
to the high impedance feed end of the antenna.
At a high impedance feed point the current is much less than it is at
a low impedance feed point (center of 1/2 wave) so not much of a
ground plane is needed. In this case the coax shield acts as the
ground plane for the 1/2 wave antenna. It is not the best ground plane
but again not much is needed in this case. The high current point is
in the center (quarter wave point) of the antenna.

Once you get a few wavelengths above ground additional height does not
much effect the radiation lobes (pattern) of the vhf antenna. But
height does effect the line of sight or in this case radio line of
sight, (which is slightly greater than visual).

What Larry is talking about with the donut shaped vertical pattern is
a result of gain in the antenna. The higher the gain the flatter
(sharper) the vertical pattern of the antenna. Any tilt of the high
gain antenna will raise the pattern above the horizon or tilt it into
the sea. It will not be at the horizon where it does most good.

A lower gain antenna, like the 1/2 wave, has a much fatter pattern.
Like a fat doughnut or a ball. Tilting it one way or the other still
maintains about the same amount of radiation at the horizon. This is
because it normally radiates in a wide vertical pattern. With a wide
vertical pattern a great portion of the signal is wasted as it gets
radiated at high and low angles that are not useful. But the advantage
is that it can be moved (tilted) a long way and still maintain about
the same amount of useful signal.

To get gain, a gain antenna narrows the wide vertical pattern. It robs
some of the power normally radiated at high and low angles and places
more of it at the horizon. Thus the narrower vertical pattern.
The advantage is a stronger signal. The disadvantage is that if it is
tilted very far the signal drops off sharply because the vertical
angle is very narrow.

Regards
Gary
Chuck Tribolet

Larry, nobody's suggesting 9 db antennas. They are for shore stations
and real ships. 6 db, on the other hand, seems to work fine on my 17'
boat. I talk to dive buddies who are theoretically out of range, and
they come in fine, with no fade in/out as the boat rocks.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Shortwave Sportfishing" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:11:49 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:30:07 GMT, Jack Burton
wrote:

~~ major snippage ~~

But, if we are talking about adding
this pattern tilting effect to the boat riding down into the trough of
those 30' rollers in a "worst case scenario" where it really counts,
THEN we are talking about disrupted comms. The best antenna for this
situation is NOT the 9dB fiberglass beast mounted on the side of the
helm console.....but the 1/2 wave Metz stainless whip mounted as high
up as you can get it.....with its fat pattern less effected by tilting
that's still sticking up above the waves on top of the sailboat
mast....like a beacon from the lighthouse.

Yes, that is true enough on a sail boat because you are talking about
height in that case which can conquer a multitude of conditions nine
foot antenna or three foot base loaded (end fed) stainless steel.

I'm speaking about a small boat as in, oh say, a 23 foot CC Ranger
with a T-top or a 32 foot Contender with a T-top. I would think that
even in your scenario, the angle of the signal to the horizon when it
leaves the antenna would work the same base load or center fed and
cause signal capture problems at the receiving end regardless.

By the way, neither of those boats would ever be in a situation with
30 foot rollers - if they show up, I'm long gone. :)

FWiW, I have have a 6db 8' Shake Galaxy on my 17' whaler. Works fine
even when it's rock and roll.

"In range" you'll really not see the difference on FM, which signal
strength has less effect on until it's near the fringe.

I just don't like the big, long fiberglass whips on small boats.
Neither does USCG. They got fed up with them breaking off and all use
the Metz, now. Metz brags about it on their webpage.

Interesting - all the USCG small boats around these parts use the
Shakespeare 396-1 which is a center-fed 1/2 wave.

I use one and it's been great antenna.

That's the best antenna mounted as high as you can get it. It's
end-fed by a transformer in that cylinder base. It requires no
groundplane.

How can an antenna work without a ground plane? At the frequencies
we're discussing, the ground effect in FM is about the same as it is
in AM if I understood your discussion points (deleted from this post)
correctly.

I just don't like the way I can't replace the broken
cable permanently mounted to it up inside.....or the screwed-on whip
because I can't slip a 34" piece of coat hanger into the end when the
whip gets busted off by that little pitchpole we did sideways to that
Perfect Strom roller in the night. The Metz whip is mounted in a
gripping ferrule. Coat hanger wire slips right in where the broken
whip comes out.

Wellm to each their own I guess. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Gary Schafer wrote:

Now, as I understand it, at VHF frequencies, the methodology of
providing energy to the antenna (loading/feed) is not as important to
the generation/reception of the signal as is height. In fact, if I
read the pattern charts correctly, the height of the antenna has more
to do with the lobe pattern (the donut you were discussing) than the
method of feeding the antenna.

Yes/No?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

snipped

Regards
Gary

As always a very excelent explanation, Gary.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:06:06 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

[...]

Excellant Gary - that's what I was trying to get at by taking some
leading questions and seeing where the discussion went. There were
some details that I think were confusing and I just wanted to clear
some of it up without it sounding like I was a newbie big shot trying
to take over the subject.

Nice job.

Regards,

Tom, NM1Q
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964
Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:00:34 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Well, you kind of danced around the answer, but I'd still like to know
how the ground plane effects the radiation angle which logically would
also have an effect on reception of a signal. On page 3-9 of the ARRL
Antenna Handbook (16th addition - sorry, it's the latest I have at
hand at the moment) states:

On a vertical antenna that USES a ground plane, the radiation angle
increases towards straight up as the ground plane becomes "smaller",
electrically less efficient. On a half-wave, end-fed vertically
polarized antenna, where no ground plane is used as part of the
antenna design, I doubt you could measure any difference.

"The total current in the antenna consists of two components. The
amplitude of the first is determined by the power supplied by the
transmitter and the free-space radiation resistance of the antenna.
The second component is induced in the antenna by the wave reflected
by the ground. This second component, while considerably smaller than
the first at most usefull antenna heights, is by no means
insignificant."

Ham antennas, dipoles, beams, etc., used for HF communications are
HORIZONTALLY polarized antennas. This is a whole new ball game when
they are close to "ground" be it a sheet metal roof or the ground,
itself. Unlike the radiation pattern of the vertical halfwave in
question, the radiation pattern of a horizontal dipole, which is still
perpendicular to the dipole wire, INTERSECTS the ground plane below it
and the RF re-radiates or reflects off the ground plane. The
radiation pattern of a horizontal dipole very near ground is straight
up and has a hot-air-balloon shape straight up. As the antenna moves
away from ground, a dimple forms in the "balloon pattern" which forms
a null at zenith with the radiation now two "lobes", perpendicular to
the dipole whos angle of radiation drops from zenith out towards the
horizon as the dipole becomes 1/2 wavelength off ground. Beyond 1
wavelength off ground, the pattern becomes the familiar donut
perpendicular to the horizontal wire radiating upward and outward,
even down towards the ground plane, whos reflections and re-radiation
phase angles caused the odd pattern in the first place.

Vertically-polarized signals point the NULL in the radiation pattern
off the ends of the dipole. One of these nulls is towards the ground
plane so little re-radiation takes place. A 1/4 wavelength "ground
plane antenna" has a radiation pattern elevated only slightly towards
zenith, which isn't much of a problem at all.

So it would seem that the "ground plane/wave" is not an umimportant
consideration when considering antennas.

Ground effect is VERY important in a horizontally polarized dipole or
beam antenna. That's why we put the beams way up on towers so they
radiate towards the horizon, not at high radiation angles. The phase
shifted re-radiated patterns of the slightly longer reflector and
slightly shorter directors (lagging and leading, respectively) "pull"
the donut towards the directors and away from the reflector, pointing
the beam's radiation pattern in the desired, narrow direction....and
giving great gain.....if it's not too close to the ground, that is!

Further on that same page, is the following:

"Changing the height of the antenna above the ground will change the
current flow assuming that the power to the antenna is constant."

Again, this is for "ham antennas" which are generally horizontally
polarized. The reflected wave from the ground back to the horizontal
dipole GREATLY changes its impedance characteristics because that
reflected wave causes a phase shifted current in the radiating
element, itself. Close to ground, this creates a large REACTIVE
component, which shows up as reflected power at the transmitter
output, not good at all.

Again, it would appear that the "ground plane/wave" is not
insignificant.

Now, as I understand it, at VHF frequencies, the methodology of
providing energy to the antenna (loading/feed) is not as important to
the generation/reception of the signal as is height. In fact, if I
read the pattern charts correctly, the height of the antenna has more
to do with the lobe pattern (the donut you were discussing) than the
method of feeding the antenna.

Yes/No?

No, not on VERTICALLY polarized antennas.

On VHF there is no replacement for POWER and ALTITUDE. VHF is
line-of-sight communications. The higher the transmitter and receiver
antennas are, the longer your range and better your signal at the
longer range. It's why WCSC runs hundreds of kilowatts from a 2000'
tower.....RANGE. They pay very dearly for both. You should see the
WEEKLY electric bills and tower maintenance bills. On a skywave
system, like AM radio at night or ham radio HF, altitude is not very
important other than to make the antenna's radiation pattern and
impedance what we want because it's horizontal polarization.

Gary Schafer

All antennas are two terminal devices.
There is no such thing as a single point feed antenna.

Changing a horizontal antenna to a vertical antenna at the same height
does not improve the radiation angle.
If it did everyone would have their horizontal antennas in the
vertical position.

AM radio stations depend on ground wave signals not sky wave.

A horizontal antenna theoretically does not have a ground wave so
verticals are used for AM stations as they produce a ground wave
signal.

For sky wave signals height is important in order to produce better
lower angle of radiation. Lower angle radiation provides longer hops.

Adjusting the height to adjust the impedance of the antenna is not to
be worried about. That's what matching systems are for.
With multielement antennas (beams) the feed point impedance can be
very low even if the antenna is high in the air. Some other means of
matching the antenna to the line is required.

Regards
Gary

wrote:

[...]

Larry W4CSC

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:02:17 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

All antennas are two terminal devices.
There is no such thing as a single point feed antenna.

Changing a horizontal antenna to a vertical antenna at the same height
does not improve the radiation angle.
If it did everyone would have their horizontal antennas in the
vertical position.

AM radio stations depend on ground wave signals not sky wave.

A horizontal antenna theoretically does not have a ground wave so
verticals are used for AM stations as they produce a ground wave
signal.

Hmm....I've been using horizontal antennas to transmit ground wave
communications since I was 11 years old in 1957!

All VHF and UHF TV stations use ground wave only signals and every one
of them in the USA are HORIZONTALLY POLARIZED. Kinda blows that
theory all to hell, doesn't it? Until very recently, all FM radio
stations were all horizontally polarized, too, but that was changed
because cars have vertically polarized antennas......or did when they
changed the rules. Embedded FM antennas in windshields are
horizontally polarized, a dipole.

For sky wave signals height is important in order to produce better
lower angle of radiation. Lower angle radiation provides longer hops.

Depends on how far you wish to talk. I use very high angles of
radiation on 3915 Khz to talk to my buddies around SC, NC and Georgia
on 75 meters. This is easily possible because my inverted-V dipole is
only up about 30', not much % of a wavelength when the wavelength is
240 feet long. Listen from 3.5 to 4.0 Mhz nights and 7.0-7.3 Mhz days
and hear lots of us "high-angle-radiators" shooting the breeze, ad
nauseum. Works great since 1957....(c;

Adjusting the height to adjust the impedance of the antenna is not to
be worried about. That's what matching systems are for.
With multielement antennas (beams) the feed point impedance can be
very low even if the antenna is high in the air. Some other means of
matching the antenna to the line is required.

Absolutely nothing radiates like a TUNED antenna, without the lossy
tuner between feedline and antenna. Damned Navy has tuners so
inefficient trying to load a flagpole whip they have to have BLOWERS
in them to keep from melting them. All that power ISN'T radiated,
obviously.

I used to operate WB4THE/MM2 when I was a young sailor on USS
Everglades (AD-24) back in the 60's. It was my call at that time. My
captain never got over I could make phone patches to his wife back in
Charleston through a friend of mine on James Island (K4OKD) with my
$249 Heathkit HW-100 kit transceiver, even barefoot, when the Navy's
million-dollar radio installation wouldn't. He used to tease the comm
officer by saying to him, "I want to talk to Charleston. Can we do
that?" Of course, the answer was no. "That's BS. I just talked to
my wife on ET1 Butler's ham radio not 10 minutes ago! What's wrong
with our radios?"

The comm officer hated my guts.....and said so...(c; They used to
listen to my homebrew quad 813s linear amp up in radio when the old
man was on the air. The chief radioman used it, too....

Regards
Gary

73 DE W4CSC/MM2
Watch out for those ground waves.....(c;

Gary Schafer

wrote:

[...]

TV and FM stations do not depend on ground wave propagation. It is
line of sight. Nothing to do with polarization or ground wave.

FM stations have had dual polarization (both horizontal and vertical)
for many years. Only because cross polarization with the receiving
antenna greatly attenuates the signal.

Ground wave propagation as in AM stations is not a sky wave. It
follows the curvature of the earth staying close to the ground (ground
wave).

A horizontal antenna does not produce any significant ground wave.
(wave that stays close to the earth) The ground wave from a horizontal
antenna will fall off in just a few miles.

Yup that's what I said. "For sky wave signals height is important in
order to produce better lower angle of radiation. Lower angle
radiation provides longer hops."

The propagation that you experience on 80 and 40 meters with the guys
around the state is the result of high angle radiation and reflections
as you state.

If you want higher angle, shorter hops, keep the antenna low.

Tuned antenna? I assume you are referring to a "resonant antenna"?

A non resonant antenna radiates just as well as a resonant antenna.
Only difference is the impedance presented to the feed line. But even
a resonant antenna may not provide 50 ohms to your coax. Depends on
how high it is. :)

Regards
Gary

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:17:04 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

TV and FM stations do not depend on ground wave propagation. It is
line of sight. Nothing to do with polarization or ground wave.

Gary, maybe you can help me out with something here, because either
I've forgotten or I was taught incorrectly.

Over short distances (Up to five to eight miles), the ground wave
component of any VHF signal is actually the primary method by which
VHF signals are received and not by Line Of Sight.

Not true?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test
Gary Schafer

wrote:

TV and FM stations do not depend on ground wave propagation. It is
line of sight. Nothing to do with polarization or ground wave.

Gary, maybe you can help me out with something here, because either
I've forgotten or I was taught incorrectly.

Over short distances (Up to five to eight miles), the ground wave
component of any VHF signal is actually the primary method by which
VHF signals are received and not by Line Of Sight.

Not true?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

I don't think so. There is some bending, refraction of the signal that
makes the VHF radio horizon slightly longer than line of sight but it
is due to the atmosphere and not ground wave propagation.

If you have a VHF station on a high mountain peak or a very high tower
there could be no ground effect at all.

Regards
Gary