Gary Schafer

Default Antenna Ratings

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:11:54 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:17:04 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

TV and FM stations do not depend on ground wave propagation. It is
line of sight. Nothing to do with polarization or ground wave.

Gary, maybe you can help me out with something here, because either
I've forgotten or I was taught incorrectly.

Over short distances (Up to five to eight miles), the ground wave
component of any VHF signal is actually the primary method by which
VHF signals are received and not by Line Of Sight.

Not true?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

I don't think so. There is some bending, refraction of the signal that
makes the VHF radio horizon slightly longer than line of sight but it
is due to the atmosphere and not ground wave propagation.

If you have a VHF station on a high mountain peak or a very high tower
there could be no ground effect at all.

Regards
Gary