KNebulon

Default Bow thruster charging circuit

I wired up a new Lewmar 12v bow thruster and put a battery right next to it to
minimize cable size. The boat has 4 pairs of 6v batteries all charged with an
older Freedom 20 inverter/batt. charger with no separate float charge output.
How can I charge the thruster batt. without it drawing from the ships banks.
I'm thinking a batt. isolator won't work because the current flow is in the
same direction. Any solutions? The boat is a 45 ft. 20yr. old Ferreti
sailboat with twin Mercedes diesels, a wiring challenge to say the least.

Thanks Ken
Doug Dotson

I'd just buy a separate small charger.The thruster is only
operated intermitantly and a small charger should do the trick.
I have friends that have done the same with a LectraSan with
good results. The downside of having a separate battery is
that you are limited by the capacity of that battery. My thruster
draws about 80A but is connected using the heavy wire. I only
run it when the engine is running so power is not a limitation.
DOes the cost of a separate battery and charging system offset
the cost of the wire?

Doug
s/v Callista

"KNebulon" wrote in message
I wired up a new Lewmar 12v bow thruster and put a battery right next to

it to
minimize cable size. The boat has 4 pairs of 6v batteries all charged

with an
older Freedom 20 inverter/batt. charger with no separate float charge

output.
How can I charge the thruster batt. without it drawing from the ships

banks.
I'm thinking a batt. isolator won't work because the current flow is in

the
same direction. Any solutions? The boat is a 45 ft. 20yr. old Ferreti
sailboat with twin Mercedes diesels, a wiring challenge to say the least.

Thanks Ken

Peter Kennedy

The float charge output that is available in the newer Freedom inverters is
called the "Echo Charge" and it is available as a separate unit, cost is
about $119 and its the size of a couple of cigarette packs. It can put out
a charge of up to 15 Amps and echoes the charge voltage of the main bank. I
think it would work very well for your application. Let me know if you have
difficulty finding one, I have some available.

Peter Kennedy
Peter Kennedy Yacht Services
Marine Electrical Systems
www.pkys.com