Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Garland Gray II

Default SSB counterpoise for a catamaran

I'm about to install the SSB ground system in my catamaran. Since I don't
have a lead keel, and my water tank is well above the w/l, seems I might be
needing to lay down a lot of copper strips in the bilge.
The operators manual suggested that a 3" strip separated 3" from an adjacent
3" strip would be equivalent to a 9" strip. Is this the maximum separation
to achieve this phenomonem? If the strips could be 2 feet apart, and still
be effective as a 2+ foot wide strip, that would save a lot of time and
materials. Probably too good to be true though. But if it did wow, maybe I
could lay strips in both hulls, connected together at each end, and have a
monster ground plane.
Since this probably wouldn't work, what is the most efficient way to make
the ground system in a catamaran?