David Robinson

Default FUNURO FSN-80 Satellite Receiver - Can I use it?

I've picked this up at a Radio Club. It appears to work.

But I have very little knowledge on what I can do with it and/or if its
still worth using.

My Google.com searches have come up blank, except for some Ads saying our
Boat has one.

I've placed a question on the furuno US support message board. No response
yet.

Does anyone have any information on this unit?

I'd hate for it to sit on the shelf doing nothing for the next 10 years.

Or if anyone wants to take it off my hands, please email me.

NSW Australia

Thanks for reading!!

David Robinson
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
David Robinson wrote:

I've picked this up at a Radio Club. It appears to work.

But I have very little knowledge on what I can do with it and/or if its
still worth using.

My Google.com searches have come up blank, except for some Ads saying our
Boat has one.

I've placed a question on the furuno US support message board. No response
yet.

Does anyone have any information on this unit?

I'd hate for it to sit on the shelf doing nothing for the next 10 years.

Or if anyone wants to take it off my hands, please email me.

NSW Australia

Thanks for reading!!

David Robinson

If I remeber correctly the FSN-80 was Furuno's first GPS Receiver.
Been a while since I have seen one....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
David Robinson

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:44:54 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

If I remeber correctly the FSN-80 was Furuno's first GPS Receiver.
Been a while since I have seen one....

Bruce in alaska

It does look like a GPS receiver, based on the buttons/options.

But I couldn't find anything with the acronym GPS on it. I was thinking it
used some other radio beacon positioning data.

If its GPS, then I can at least connect up a GPS tuned antenna and see if
it will locate me.

Thanks!
drobinson

wrote:

If I remeber correctly the FSN-80 was Furuno's first GPS Receiver.
Been a while since I have seen one....

Bruce in alaska

It does look like a GPS receiver, based on the buttons/options.

But I couldn't find anything with the acronym GPS on it. I was thinking it
used some other radio beacon positioning data.

If its GPS, then I can at least connect up a GPS tuned antenna and see if
it will locate me.

Thanks!

Received this:
To David Robinson

We have received your request for advice from Furuno USA - Japan to
Australia and wish to assist.

The FSN-80 was a satnav transit satellite positioning system that
predated
GPS.
Unfortunately all the satnav satellites are now out of service and as
such
the FSN-80 will no longer operate to provide satellite derived
position.

--
I've done some web research regarding the Transit system (pre GPS).
The websites say the system was shutdown but I can't find any mention

I have the frequencies 146.99 and 399.97 Mhz. I'll pop 146.99 into my
R-10 comms receiver connected to a 2m antenna and see if its still
transmitting. I'll have to wait a day to be sure.

If nothing is heard, I'll contact some history collecting groups and
see if they would like it.. Unless there is some good parts in it. I
doubt it.

On a good note, I now know all about GPS and its previous
incarnations.

David Robinson