Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
BOEING377

Default "get home" electric motor coupling to prop shaft?

Is this practical?

I have a 35 ft boat with a very old 671 diesel with a 1.5 to 1 reduction gear.
I am installing a 6 HP Petter diesel aux which will probably give me about 3 KW
of electric power when coupled to a generator. I have a really nice 5 HP 24 VDC
PM continuous duty motor and a DC motor controller that can handle 375 AMPS.
When my main engine gearbox is in neutral, it is fairly easy to turn the shaft,
not a lot of friction. If I put the boat in gear and crank my starter motor
with the fuel shut off to the main engine, I move some water with the prop, not
a lot, but it is turning slow and doesnt seem to bog down the starter much
motre than if the gearbox were in neutral.

I'd like to just put a flat (no protruding center coupling) chain sprocket
between my propshaft coupling faces and have the coupling bolts go through
holes in the sprocket to affix the sprocket firmly between the flanges when
they are recoupled. That should only move my prop back an distance equivalent
to the thickness of the sprocket. I propose to have the DC motor set up to
drive the propshaft through roller chain which would only be connected in case
of a main engine failure. I'll figure out the right ratios between the motor
sprocket and propshaft sprocket to avoid overloading the DC motor. If my main
engine is diabled, do you think this set up would get me home using the Petter
driven gen as a power source? I'll probably use a 110 AC gen and convert it to
24 DC with a power supply. Even one or two knots might help in a jam.

Your thoughts? Any good web info on this type of setup?

Prop christopher krigbaum General 4 June 26th 04 01:07 PM
Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question. Gary Warner General 103 June 18th 04 05:32 AM
Propeller rotation - important? Anders Lassen General 21 June 9th 04 10:37 AM
Prop shaft Part#44-824110 M.E. General 1 September 25th 03 09:19 AM