Colin Lowe

Default 12vdc to 19vdc Inveter

Hi all,
I want to make a convertor to step up the voltage from 12vdc to 19vdc to
power my laptop. The mains adaptor I have for the laptop is rated 19vdc and
3.16A. Thefore I want to step-up the voltage from the 12vdc boat supply to
19vdc with a capacity of 3.16A max current.
Do you have a circuit or what other options do I have?

Thanks
Colin

Larry W4CSC

After careful consideration, and the sticker shock of a 12V power
supply for the Dell Latitude notebook, we decided to buy a Tripplite
500W inverter to plug the damned AC brick into. The inverter can be
used to power other things for LESS money than greedy Dell wanted for
the 12V cord.

How silly......The CPU runs on THREE VOLTS!

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:32:23 +0200, "Colin Lowe"
wrote:

Hi all,
I want to make a convertor to step up the voltage from 12vdc to 19vdc to
power my laptop. The mains adaptor I have for the laptop is rated 19vdc and
3.16A. Thefore I want to step-up the voltage from the 12vdc boat supply to
19vdc with a capacity of 3.16A max current.
Do you have a circuit or what other options do I have?

Thanks
Colin

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Thanks for the advice, I liked the idea of making one, but in the end I
parted with some of my hard earned cash and bought one locally similar to
the one that Radio Shack do.

Thanks again Doug and Larry.

Colin.

Snip

Colin Lowe wrote:

Hi all,
I want to make a convertor to step up the voltage from 12vdc to 19vdc to
power my laptop. The mains adaptor I have for the laptop is rated 19vdc
and 3.16A. Thefore I want to step-up the voltage from the 12vdc boat
supply to 19vdc with a capacity of 3.16A max current.
Do you have a circuit or what other options do I have?

Thanks
Colin

Mark Reichow

This ham makes a GREAT power booster for laptops. I and many other
sailors have been using them for years. The nice thing, unlike an
inverter, these power supplies are QUIET. No noise on your marine
SSB/ham radio while doing e-mail or wefax. Check it out...
http://user.gru.net/n4uau/kits/Volta...e/apvb-kit.htm

FREDRICK L. SNIDER

I just received one from N4UAU and the workmanship is faultless. I got the
plug-n-play one I only have to supply the laptop plug. It's great! Leon
Snider "Motown"

George Pinson

Try http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SDR-70W
I have been using one for a little over a year now. Has
worked perfectly, cost only $17.90 and it comes with a
selection of tips

Have been using a Toshiba laptop. Just got a new Compaq.
The only change I had to make was to move the selector from
19 volts to 18 volts. Tip was the same.