Vic Fraenckel

Default NMEA mutiplexer

Doug,

I just had a look at the ShipModul site and read the info concerning both
the VirtualPlex-1 software and the MiniPlex-41USB. Both sounded VERY
interesting. Could you tell me if purchasing the MiniPlex-41USB includes the
VirtualPlex-1 S/W? Is the S/W usable without the hardware? Lots of people
seem to be having trouble simply attaching a GPS receiver to their laptops
because they have no serial ports anymore. It seems to me that the
VirtualPlex-1 SW solves that problem as well.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

TIA

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Meindert Sprang

"Vic Fraenckel" wrote in message
Doug,

I just had a look at the ShipModul site and read the info concerning both
the VirtualPlex-1 software and the MiniPlex-41USB. Both sounded VERY
interesting. Could you tell me if purchasing the MiniPlex-41USB includes

the
VirtualPlex-1 S/W? Is the S/W usable without the hardware? Lots of people
seem to be having trouble simply attaching a GPS receiver to their laptops
because they have no serial ports anymore. It seems to me that the
VirtualPlex-1 SW solves that problem as well.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Hello Vic,

I am the manufacturer of both poducts. The VirtualPlex-1 software is not
included in the purchase of a MiniPlex-41USB. VirtualPlex-1 is usable
without the hardware, it can be used with any source of NMEA data. But
VirtualPlex-1 does not solve the problem you describe.

The MiniPlex-41USB connects four NMEA sources to a computer that lacks a
serial port. When you only have to connect a single GPS, it is a bit of
overkill since a simple USB-serial converter could be used for this purpose.
However, many of these converters do not work very well or create the famous
wild-mousepointer problem. This does not occur when you use a
MiniPlex-41USB, because the supplied driver blocks any Plug&Play requests
coming from Windows.

VirtualPlex-1 could be described as the software antipode of a multiplexer.
It reads the data from one single serial port, beit a real one or a virtual
one, and dispatches it to up to 255 virtual serial ports that are created by
VirtualPlex-1. This enables multiple software applications to run at the
same time and use the incoming NMEA data. Also, VirtualPlex-1 allows the
applications to talk back to the 'real' serial port in order to send out
NMEA data.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Meindert
www.shipmodul.com

Before you connect new NMEA and blow your network.... Larry W4CSC Cruising 5 September 29th 03 07:28 PM
Before you connect new NMEA and blow your network.... Larry W4CSC Electronics 5 September 29th 03 07:28 PM
NMEA Noise in SSB Keith Electronics 7 September 28th 03 05:51 PM
Transmitting different versions of NMEA data Larry Electronics 4 August 12th 03 10:47 AM
[ANN] NMEA data over IP networks, freeware program Ger Electronics 8 August 5th 03 07:10 AM