Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default Power Transister or Relays??

I finally located a stronger 12 volt linear drive unit for the tiller pilot
on my 13 ton Ingrid 38. It has all the power and length of stroke that I
feel I need (when the going gets tough).

This unit has a 14" stroke (stop to stop) 1000# dynamic, 1500# static and
overload clutch rated at 1200-1600# w/auto thermal overload.

However; the drive motors max current draw is 14 amps.. Now that sounds like
a lot but under normal operating conditions it shouldn't take more than 5-6
amps and then only in pulses since the tiller load is normally fairly light.
(from my observations of the AP performance recently, the duty cycle is
about 1sec on/15sec off. ) Under heavy conditions, I'm sure this will be
different and I have not data since the tiller load is too great for the OEM
linear drive.

I will be using this AP set up mostly while motoring so power consumption
will not be a primary factor.

I will still be using the very reliable AH3000 tiller pilot control head but
since this unit is limit to only a couple amps output to the old linear
drive, I need to build a power controller circuit (not sure that the right
term), to deliver the full 14 amps to the new linear drive motor.

Both the old and the new linear drive was controlled by the switching of
polarity to the drive motor. I would use this same output from the control
head to switch the output polarity of the power controller..

First I would like to know which would be the most effiecent and reliable,
Transistors or Relays in this controller.?? I realize I could build it from
regular, off the shelf automotive relays and if they fail, I can just plug
in a spare, but then if I mount my transistors in sockets, I could do the
same thing.

BTW. Either controller will be protected, below deck in a sealed box.

Can anyone offer a curcuit diagram for either transistor or the rely power
controller. I'm not an elex. whiz but I can build just about anything that
you guyz can sketch up for me. Or a good reference that might have such a
circuit.

Thanks,

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Power Outage! :o( Steve Cruising 2 December 23rd 03 01:31 PM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM