Steve

Default Power Outage! :o(

I'm staying at my house, about a mile from the marina.. Woke up at about 3
am to realize the the power was off. Doesn't happen often around here
because most power lines are underground..

I tried to go back to sleep but something in the back of my mind told me I
should be worried about the power being off at the marina as well..

The weather was in the 40s so no need to worry about anything freezing..
However, it occured to me that I had the electric heater plugged into an
outlet that would become powered by the Inverter/Charger when ever the power
fails. (I keep the Inverter/Charger on all the time since my 12 vdc frig is
left on.)

About 4:30 am I start doing some mental calculating (watts/volts=amps, 50%
of 800AH, 11.8 vdc = Battery Abuse @!#$%^&*)...

I finally jumped out of bed, dressed and drove to the marina in thick fog..
Sure enough, no power at the marina either.. Started for the dock but
realized I couldn't find my way without a flashlight.. Back to truck for a
light.. Go to boat.. Sure enough the battery voltage was down to 12 volts
and the Inverter was cycling on and off, in it's apparent low voltage
protection mode. I pulled the plug on the heater switched off the frig...

Checked voltage again, still 12 volts. Waited about 20 min., 12.2 volts..

OK, I'll come back later and turn the inverter/charger back on where I can
monitor the charge rate and battery condition..

When I returned at 9 am the battery voltage and come up to 12.4 so I set the
charger at about 50 amps and everything seemed to be ok..

Project for this weeks "A" list.. Wire up a dedicated outlet for the
electric heater that IS NOT on the inverter load transfer circuit.

Oh yah! read the damn inverter/charger manual 'again" to see if there is a
way to leave it on charge with the inverter off..

Note: This is a Exide 2000 Platnium Inverter Charger, 2000 watt inverter
with 150 amp three stage charger.

Of course this wouldn't have been a problem if I had moved back on the boat
like I planned.. (Can't get any TV reception and the cell phone won't work
at the marina).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Vito

"Steve" wrote
Of course this wouldn't have been a problem if I had moved back on the

boat
like I planned.. (Can't get any TV reception and the cell phone won't work
at the marina).

Wot! You leave Good Intentions at a shoddy marina without phone and cable TV
connections!?! Shame on you!

Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM
OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence? noah General 222 September 24th 03 06:50 AM
*STILL* no power after Hurricane Isabel Butch Ammon General 2 September 23rd 03 08:35 AM