Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default The Capn Voyager, How accurate?

I was playing with my GPS yesterday (rainy day) and had it wired to my
laptop, running Capn 6.1.

I noticed that the GPS was displaying the Long. and Lat. to three (3)
decimal places while The Capn, was displaying it to 3 decimal places, the
least significate digit was always zero. There didn't appear to be any
'rounding' either.

However, The Capn cursor coordinates were always shown to a three decimal
place precision.

I should think, that if the program is going to display the vessel position
to only two decimal places of accuracy, they shouldn't display that third
digit as a zero. In engineering drawings, that third digit would indicate
that all accuracy should be assumed to the third decimal place.

I suspect that since the decimal digit is simply dropped, there is no such
degree of accuracy.

My "lesson learned", if I need high accuracy, I will look at the GPS
display, and ignore the Capn.

BTW. In this observation, I'm using a standard GPS without any external
enhancements.

My observation and opinions, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Capn Nav Software Sounds Problem Len Cruising 4 August 8th 04 02:54 AM
Capn' Voyager Duke-it Cruising 2 January 2nd 04 06:34 PM
The Cap'n 6.1 interface? Steve Electronics 2 July 29th 03 07:28 PM