Dick Locke

Default good points, Larry.....

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:40:48 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Where do YOU drive? ;-) A lot of drivers around here seem to have gotten
the license from Pep Boys and drive like Moe, Larry and (whomever).

That's not the issue. Think how much worse it would be with *no*
licences. The issue is whether licenses improve things, not whether
they make things perfect.
98stratus

Default VHF Hi/Lo Tx??

Channel 13 is not a ship to ship channel, it's a bridge hailing channel
which ias why you don't need 25w to Tx. You'd blow their ears off at 25 w
(considering you're within line of sight when you normally contact a bridge)

If You're hailing Mrina's on 16, you'll never get an anwer as the hailing
channel for marina's is 68, been that way for over 20 years! This is to
help reduce the clutter on 16,, though this hasn't helped much. There are
still too many mulletheads talking on 16.

Pierre
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
The use of 25W any time 1W will make communications is illegal......on
any channel.

The radio presets Ch 13 because you are normally speaking ship-to-ship
in or near visual range where 1W is appropriate for good
communications.

Communications should always be on 1W switching to 25W if that fails
or is reported to be noisy.

Of course, all rules/regulations ARE suspended in the event of a life
threatening emergency aboard. You can run 1000W or 10KW in a
life-threatening emergency.

One of our biggest problems on Channel 16 is MARINAS. Some idiot at
the FCC allows these marinas to have TALL TOWERS and 25W radios which
are always left on 25W parking boats 200' from the 70' tower on the
dock. Marinas need licenses that say they may only use 1W radios with
antennas no higher than 10' above the floating docks. Anyone
listening to Ch 16 for a day knows why. Marinas also need to have
their asses busted for transmitting on ship-to-ship ONLY channels in
the range from Channel 68 to 72. Some of these channels are ONLY for
ship-to-ship traffic, not marina operations.

I think all marina operations should be handled on the COMMERCIAL
channels set aside for operations, like Channel 10. Marinas ARE
commercial marine businesses, you know, just like tugboats and
sightseeing boats.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:11:54 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

My VHF has a H/L button for selecting high or low power on various
channels.. Some channels, when selected, are preset at Low power. If I

push
and hold the HI/Lo button the indicator shifts to HI..

Am I actually overriding the preset low power when I do this??

Is it legal to do this on a channel that is suppose to be LO power (ie.
channel 13)??

Or if legal, is it ethical??

The reason I ask, Monday, I was trying to reach the Hood Canal Bridge
operator and I was still several miles away.. He wasn't answering on his
working channel or channel 16..

I know that they like to have at least 1 hour notice to schedule a draw

span
opening and I couldn't get through on their phone number (seems someone
changed the phone number but didn't tell me about it ;o( ).

After about an hour and finally laying-to 800 yards from the bridge and

no
response in either HI or Lo power, the US Navy Bangor operating center

came
up on 13 and gave me the correct phone number.

From that point on, the bridge tender was overly attentive (maybe got his
ass chewed for not monitoring his radio).

As I am told, in my cruising guide, the bridge crew works on maintainance
while someone is suppose to be monitoring the radio.. In truth, I think

they
just monitor the 'Hot Line' phone from their own operating center.

Oh Well! An interesting experience and I have the correct phone number
posted at the chart table.

I wonder what people do who go sailing without a cell phone?? Maybe, pull
over and use a payphone??

Didn't we use to use horn signals to communicate with bridge tenders??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

Duane

Channel 13 is "the" bridge to bridge channel. (eg vessel bridge to vessel
bridge)

Duane

Jere Lull

98stratus wrote:

Channel 13 is not a ship to ship channel, it's a bridge hailing channel
which is why you don't need 25w to Tx. You'd blow their ears off at 25 w
(considering you're within line of sight when you normally contact a bridge)

It's also the primary contact channel for commercial traffic, tugs and
freighters, at least here on the Chesapeake. That's ship-to-ship.

If You're hailing Mrina's on 16, you'll never get an anwer as the hailing
channel for marina's is 68, been that way for over 20 years! This is to
help reduce the clutter on 16,, though this hasn't helped much. There are
still too many mulletheads talking on 16.

Pierre

Again, on the Chesapeake, most marinas monitor 16. A few have recently
switched to monitoring 9. Any of the "general" channels are used for
their working channel, but few seem to monitor their working channel.
You only get them just as they're just finishing up with a different
customer and haven't switched back ot 16. Only the taxis keep to 68 or
72 or whatever, and they post that prominently on their signboards.

--
Jere Lull

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:12:58 -0400, "98stratus"
wrote:

Channel 13 is not a ship to ship channel, it's a bridge hailing channel
which ias why you don't need 25w to Tx. You'd blow their ears off at 25 w
(considering you're within line of sight when you normally contact a bridge)

If You're hailing Mrina's on 16, you'll never get an anwer as the hailing
channel for marina's is 68, been that way for over 20 years! This is to
help reduce the clutter on 16,, though this hasn't helped much. There are
still too many mulletheads talking on 16.

Every marina from VA to FL, including every marina in Charleston, SC,
monitor and use Ch 16. You can call 'em on 68 but they only got one
radio and you won't get an answer until you call 'em on 16 first.

BTW, on an FM radio, DEVIATION (how far the carrier swings with audio
modulation) determines how loud the volume is coming out of the
receiver. The difference between 1W, 25W and 100KW, using the same
deviation and deviation index produce exactly the same "volume" at the
receiver. Power extends RANGE, not volume, on an FM transmitter.

In SSB, POWER makes you LOUDER. In AM, % of modulation makes you
LOUDER and to some extent power. But not in FM

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

Larry W4CSC

All bridges monitor 9 in SC, too.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:47:58 -0400, Kelton Joyner
wrote:

In south Florida the bridge channel is channel 9.

Duane wrote:
Channel 13 is "the" bridge to bridge channel. (eg vessel bridge to vessel
bridge)

Duane

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
DaveH

They didn't even pretend to enforce the license requirement when it was in
effect, so I have to agree that it had zero impact. Only people who cared
enough to get one (and hence probably pretty responsible) had one.

Dave

"Jim Hollenback" wrote in message
Steve ) wrote:
: I agree, VHF has become very much like the CB for the unlicensed users.

: I predicted this would happen when they dropped the license requirement

in
: the early '90s.

Again, how does a license requirement prevent idiots? Especially one that
does not require passing a minimal test of regulations? You drive, don't
you? There is a minimal test of driving skills to obtain a drivers license
that costs money. The road is full of idiots.

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.

Leanne

In addition, with the license, there could be a radio etiquette
handbook that would explain a few things. That would take care of the
simply ignorant.

Not a perfect solution, but like drivers licenses, requiring a license
improves things.

Requiring a license will not cure the problem. Look at CB when they dropped the
license requirement and the same thing happened on VHF. Going back to obtaining
a license will only make a lot of illegal stations out there that cannot, and
with the budget the FCC gets, will not be tracked down and brought to court.

On another thought, How many times have you heard an open mike with a
conversation or music in the background and a hundred people shouting back,
"Turn off the Mic" on a simplex channel where the offender can't hear them
because his mic is keyed.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

VHF Hi/Lo Tx?? Jere Lull Cruising 21 September 12th 03 01:26 AM
VHF Hi/Lo Tx?? Jere Lull Electronics 1 August 22nd 03 04:44 PM
VHF Hi/Lo Tx?? Jim Thompson Electronics 0 August 22nd 03 01:01 AM