Jere Lull

Default VHF Hi/Lo Tx??

Steve wrote:

My VHF has a H/L button for selecting high or low power on various
channels.. Some channels, when selected, are preset at Low power. If I push
and hold the HI/Lo button the indicator shifts to HI..

Am I actually overriding the preset low power when I do this??

Is it legal to do this on a channel that is suppose to be LO power (ie.
channel 13)??

Or if legal, is it ethical??

I believe the radio isn't supposed to do something that was illegal when
it was type-accepted, so if it switches to high power, it was probably
acceptable at the time. Ethical? I'd say yes, particularly if you try
the low power first and get no response. I'll have to see whether ours
does the same thing.

SOME operators will keep the squelch and volume up high so they only get
the nearest calls as they "putter about", so the high power setting
might break through a little bit earlier.

The reason I ask, Monday, I was trying to reach the Hood Canal Bridge
operator and I was still several miles away.. He wasn't answering on his
working channel or channel 16.. snip

I wonder what people do who go sailing without a cell phone?? Maybe, pull
over and use a payphone??

Didn't we use to use horn signals to communicate with bridge tenders?

On the Chespeake, some of the bridges are still primarily opened by
horn. The Sassafras bridge comes to mind.... For all I know, it's simply
an affectation, but an awful lot of boats honk through. [The water
taxiis also responds to two toots, too]

In the US, except when otherwise posted, water traffic takes preference
over land traffic, so while it's nice to give them that hour warning,
I'd park far less than 800 yards from them as I waited... 20 feet
wouldn't be unreasonable in some cases.

--
Jere Lull

Steve

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
snip

over land traffic, so while it's nice to give them that hour warning,
I'd park far less than 800 yards from them as I waited... 20 feet
wouldn't be unreasonable in some cases.

snip

I wouldn't feel comfortable going any closer when the flood is running at
about a knot and I don't know how long before the draw span will be
opened.. It generally takes 20 to 30 min to round up the operating crew ( I
think it takes 3 people) and to open one 300 ft span.

When I finally spoke with the operator and offered to wait until the next
"scheduled" opening (for navy traffic), he declined and stated that I had
the right-of-way (upon request).

I had planned my arrival at near mid day to minimize delays of rush hour
traffic.

BTW.. The contact Phone Number for scheduling Hood Canal Bridge openings was
change several years ago from the old Tacoma number ((206)593-2285) to
(360)779-3233.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

VHF Hi/Lo Tx?? Jere Lull Cruising 21 September 12th 03 01:26 AM
VHF Hi/Lo Tx?? Jim Thompson Electronics 0 August 22nd 03 01:01 AM