anyone

Default Evinrude 175 stator possible short?

Hello all,

I conducted the Charge coil ohmmeter test on my stator and came up with a
reading of 940 ohms. the tech manual says that the minimum reading should
be 960 ohms (page 3-47 of tech manual 507874). My question is, is this a low
enough ohm reading to cause me to have no spark? Any info would be
appreciated. I am a great mechanic but a lousy Electrician

Floyd

Larry

Before spending $400 for a new stator, go to Radio Shack and buy a
1000 (1K) ohm resistor from the parts department. Measure the
resistor with your meter with how you set it up and see how close it
is. If it's a digital meter, never mind the test.

I find many non-electric mechanics don't know how to set the zero-set
on their analog VOMs which makes any reading they take useless. VOM
require that you select the range you wish to use, then short out the
leads and set a little thumbwheel zero control for full scale (0 ohms)
reading ON EACH RANGE. If you switch ranges you MUST rezero the
meter. Digital voltmeters don't do this.

To answer your question, it depends on how MANY turns how CLOSE to the
core are shorted, making the reading low, before there's not enough
voltage to make a spark. Usually you get a weak spark on the tester,
real thin and hard to see, as the shorted turns absorb the passing
magnet's energy...

Have you run the voltage tests, if this is a CD ignition?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:28:32 -0500, "anyone"
wrote:

Hello all,

I conducted the Charge coil ohmmeter test on my stator and came up with a
reading of 940 ohms. the tech manual says that the minimum reading should
be 960 ohms (page 3-47 of tech manual 507874). My question is, is this a low
enough ohm reading to cause me to have no spark? Any info would be
appreciated. I am a great mechanic but a lousy Electrician

Floyd

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
anyone

I conducted the voltage test and came up with a reading of approximately 180
volts vice the required 200 volts. As I continued testing the rest of the
system I have found that the sensor coil test was showing no voltage. I
conducted the ohmmeter test on the sensor coil and have found open circuits
on two of the terminals.

Thanks for the info about getting a 1K ohm resistor. I am using a Fluke
meter but, I would like to verify that it is still calibrated. I have had it
for 8 years and have never really used it for an exact measurment on ohms. I
use it mostly to test wires for 120 Volts before I go and instal or remove
them at the house. (I got shocked once and didn't like it so I use the thing
all the time now hehe )

Floyd