ONE

Default Vhf radio

NO you don't need a liscence to operate the vhf radio in canada.

"Belgian" a écrit dans le message de news:
Can someone tell me if a i need a special license (Canada) to use a vhf
radio on my boat ?
also, can someone tell me, where i can learn how to use it? Is there any
website ?
thanks
P. S sorry about my poor english !

Jim Hollenback

ONE ) wrote:
: NO you don't need a liscence to operate the vhf radio in canada.

That's interesting. 80.13(c) specifically states you need a license
if you travel to a foreign port. Is Canada not considered a foreign port?

and from the FAQ at http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html#SEC2

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to
foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations.
Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous
conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico,
^^^^^^
Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required.

It seems pretty clear if you travel to Canada and use your radio you need
a license.

: "Belgian" a écrit dans le message de news:
: ...
: Can someone tell me if a i need a special license (Canada) to use a vhf
: radio on my boat ?
: also, can someone tell me, where i can learn how to use it? Is there any
: website ?
: thanks
: P. S sorry about my poor english !
:
:

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.
Peter Bennett

On 25 Jul 2003 11:32:31 -0700, (Jim Hollenback)
wrote:

ONE ) wrote:
: NO you don't need a liscence to operate the vhf radio in canada.

That's interesting. 80.13(c) specifically states you need a license
if you travel to a foreign port. Is Canada not considered a foreign port?

and from the FAQ at
http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html#SEC2

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to
foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations.
Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous
conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico,
^^^^^^
Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required.

It seems pretty clear if you travel to Canada and use your radio you need
a license.

The original poster "Belgian" appears to be Canadian, according to his
address....

: "Belgian" a écrit dans le message de news:
: ...

There seems to be conflicting information between the US and Canadian
authorities in this matter. The Canadian rules state that we
(Canadians) don't need a station licence in Canada, or in countries
with which Canada has a suitable reciprocal agreement - and the US is
stated as the only country with which we have such an agreement - so
we should be able to operate in the US without a station licence.
Since this should be a reciprocal agreement, this implies that Merkins
should be able to operate in Canada without a station licence,
however, the FCC apparently disagrees.....

: Can someone tell me if a i need a special license (Canada) to use a vhf
: radio on my boat ?
: also, can someone tell me, where i can learn how to use it? Is there any
: website ?

Canadian Power Squadrons offers a course on marine radio operation,
and issues operator certificates on behalf of Industry Canada (We _do_
require an operator's certificate.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI