Richard Malcolm

Default inverter getting to much power

I have installed a Xantrex 1750 inverter on my boat this year. I did a
lot of research and decided that I would not skimp on wire, fuse, etc.
I am using 5 ft of 4/0 cable from one of my batteries, with a 250 anl
fuse. My first Xantrex, only worked intermittingly on and off. It
eventually fried my microwave oven. Discouraged, I put in a
replacement 1750 and it worked well from the start. the problem that I
am now having, is that it seems to be getting to much power from the
alternator(according to the lights on the unit, and shuts it self off)
and does not work when the engine is running and I have the battery
switch set to that battery. I think that I am doing everything right,
but could use some suggestions. thanks
ps did get to make hot dogs using my microwave on the fourth of july
while watching the fireworks on the Charles river in Boston. nothing
better!
Richard Malcolm

Unless your description has been misinterpreted, you sound to have the
inverter connected direct to the alternator, not via the battery, which acts
as a capacitor between alternator and inverter, restricting current flow. Is
this the case?

NO. the inverter is conected directly to the battery.
would the cables that go from the alternator/battery switch to the
battery go directly to the inverter since both cables(inverter and
switch/alternator) are on the same battery post, or should the battery
act as a capacitor? wow am I confused?

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Power Outage! :o( Steve Cruising 2 December 23rd 03 01:31 PM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM