posted to rec.boats.electronics
377 377 is offline

Default Can anyone tell me if this is an AIS transponder or? ROSS 12500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
posted to rec.boats.electronics

377 wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...item=270322962
803&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=

It's not. VTS, Vessel Traffic Services, is a whole different, much older,
system that uses control operators like FAA flight controllers for crowded
waterways watching shore-based radar and other navaids to safely separate
traffic, just like they do in the air. This radio is a VHF marine radio
with a VTS transponder built into it.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/vts/vts_home.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_Traffic_Service
(Lots of URL pointers to various countries using VTS)

On Dec 30 2008, 12:08*pm, Larry wrote:
377 wrote :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...item=270322962
803&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=

It's not. *VTS, Vessel Traffic Services, is a whole different, much older,
system that uses control operators like FAA flight controllers for crowded
waterways watching shore-based radar and other navaids to safely separate
traffic, just like they do in the air. *This radio is a VHF marine radio
with a VTS transponder built into it.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/vts/vts_home.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_Traffic_Service
(Lots of URL pointers to various countries using VTS)

thanks for the reply but are you 100% sure? I know what VTS is but it
looks like the transponders used in VTS, even back in 2000, were AIS
type.

this is from a tech report on Ross:

"The AIS base station equipment and shipborne equipment currently in
use by the U.S. Coast Guard was designed, manufactured, and installed
by ROSS. The U.S. Coast Guard Ports And Waterway Safety System (PAWSS)
uses this system, along with shipborne AIS transponders in the New
Orleans Vessel Traffic Service (VTS). For this system, ROSS received
the U.S. Department of Transportation CY2000 Honor Award. ROSS has
also supplied similar systems to the USCG for the ports of Houston/
Galveston, Seattle and New York. The Tampa Bay Harbor Safety Committee
and the San Francisco Marine Exchange (both of which include the USCG
as a partner) have operating AIS systems and shipborne AIS
transponders supplied by ROSS."

I can find no info that VTS ever had any marine VHF transponder
protocol other than AIS, but am open to hear more from those with
experience in this area.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article
,
377 wrote:

[...]

I suspect you guys are confusing Ross's DSC Position Reporting System,
with AIS. They operate on different Frequencies. DSC= Marine Ch-70
AIS on the Duplex Rx Ch of one of the Old Marine Telco Frequencies.
Ross was the first to incorporate DSC into a US Type Accepted Radio,
with a GPS Input that transmitted Position Information via DSC to other
Ross Units within VHF Range. I believe DSC Uses a different Protocol for
Digital Comms, but don't know that for sure.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
posted to rec.boats.electronics
377 377 is offline

On Jan 1, 11:01*am, Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article
,

*377 wrote:
[...]

Bruce,

I have used Ross 500s in commercial fishing, but that was a long time
ago. As I recall they just reported GPS position when pinged, not
heading or any other nav data, but I could certainly be wrong.

Take a look at photos in the link in the initial posting. This is a
Ross 500 in a 19 inch rack box with lots of other circuitry including
a GPS, but much more as well. The photo of the back shows, among many
other connectors, an input for heading sensor which makes me think
AIS. This may be more than a Ross 500 and a GPS in one box operating
as a DSC interrogated position reporting setup. All that took was a
Ross 500 and a GPS.

Take a look at the back panel connectors and let me know what you
think.

Thanks,
Mark

*377 wrote:
[...]

Link to photos on listing: (see back panel detail)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270322962803

*377 wrote:
On Dec 30 2008, 12:08*pm, Larry wrote:
377 wrote

m:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&item=2703229
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ame=STRK:MESEL
X:IT&item=270322962803

All that may be True, BUT there is likely a difference based on Ross's
Technology being based on DSC, and AIS being based on European
Technology.
I can't see Ross completely dropping their proprietary technology in
favor of some European Technology just to make it compatible, when they
were working with the USCG and getting funding from the USCG and
Homeland Security to extend and design a USA System for our Government.
I suspect that the Ross System is based on their original Technology
even if it is extended, and uses some other Frequency than DSC Marine Ch
70. That would be much more likely than them dropping their stuff down
the Circular File and doing everything via AIS. Also HomeLand Security
wouldn't want the "Bad Guys" able to see where all their Units were if
it was based on AIS, which is a Worldwide Standard via the RTCM.
I could be wrong, but I don't think so........

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

AIS Transponder Antenna Placement Geoff Schultz Electronics 6 July 15th 07 10:28 PM
Transponder/Battery Question John C. French Electronics 6 October 5th 04 05:01 AM
transponder Tom Logue General 3 October 4th 04 09:58 PM
kayaking ross lake (mid Nov.) roger beniot General 2 November 11th 03 05:09 PM