John C. French

Default Transponder/Battery Question

First Question- I installed a second Fishfinder (Garmin 250) in my boat and
moved the first FF (Humminbird WideOne) to the casting deck. I positioned
the new transponder (200 KHz) next to and slightly above the first
transducer (unsure of the frequency of this transducer). The New FF works
great, and I get normal but sporadic operation of the original FF. Could
this be a problem with transducer frequencies, or transponder locations. I
did not change the location of the original transducer, but just installed
the new one again next to and slightly above the original.

Second Question- While installing the second FF (Garmin), I also installed a
GPS (Garmin GPS72) and connected the GPS to the FF. I also connected the GPS
power cable to the fuse block of the boat, which both FF'ders are connected.
Now, with power shut off to all electronics, the battery will slowly
discharge over the course of a few days or so. Could these new electronics
be draining the battery even when powered off, or could it just be time to
replace the battery? The battery never reads over 12.4 volts, even when
charging, and after a long day of fishing, the battery level will be down to
as low as 9 volts.

Any responses will be appreciated.

John C. French

Carl McNair

If you are useing a "12 Volt" automotive or deep cycle battery,
nominal,at rest voltage should be about 12.6 Volts. Chargeing
voltage 13.2 to 15.6 depending on charger type or alternator .

I am not well educated in the fish finders , but they do send out
a sound and SEE from the ECHO-return...Two conversations at once
may cause some confusion.

John C. French wrote:
[...]

Wayne.B

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:43:04 -0400, "John C. French"
wrote:
Could these new electronics
be draining the battery even when powered off, or could it just be time to
replace the battery? The battery never reads over 12.4 volts, even when
charging, and after a long day of fishing, the battery level will be down to
as low as 9 volts.

======================================

Sounds like it's time to replace. Batteries, even deep cycle
batteries, should never be discharged below 11.5 volts (half power).
Discharging them lower than that will severly shorten their life.

Brian Sweeting

Certainly sounds as though your battery has been killed.

Doug Dotson

Actually, half capacity for a liquid electrolyte battery is 12.2 volts.
But in any case, based upon your description, they do seem to be
pretty bad off.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote:
Could these new electronics
be draining the battery even when powered off, or could it just be time to
replace the battery? The battery never reads over 12.4 volts, even when
charging, and after a long day of fishing, the battery level will be down
as low as 9 volts.

======================================

Sounds like it's time to replace. Batteries, even deep cycle
batteries, should never be discharged below 11.5 volts (half power).
Discharging them lower than that will severly shorten their life.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:10:57 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Actually, half capacity for a liquid electrolyte battery is 12.2 volts.

=============================

Under what meausurement conditions? Can you cite the source of your
information? 12.2 volts (resting condition) is only 20% discharged
in my experience.

Jeff Morris

No, an open circuit voltage of 12.2 for a flooded battery usually means about
50%, or for a cruiser, time to recharge. Under load, of coarse, 12.2 could mean
about 80%; IIRC my house bank will drop to about 12.25V when the fridge is
running with its 30 Amp load.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/custome...erymaint4.html
http://www.rollsbattery.com/Bulletins/600.htm