Default Zac

On Nov 9, 8:29*am, Gordon wrote:
* *Zac's forestay snapped 10 foot above deck. Anyone care to venture why
it snapped at that point?
* This was new rigging and inside a roller furling.
* *Gordon

cause he is trusting wire.
the boys doing a good job of it so far. if he fixes this little
problem he will do fine.
problem i have is he keeps going into port for fixes he could do at
sea.
so what a bit of rigging broke splice it and move on. would take at
worst a couple of hours.
sounds like the boy has a baby sitter.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I think he was talking about retensioning the sheets after everything is
furled. I've seen people do this. With enough tension, there could be
pressure of the foils on the stay at the point where the sheets come off
the wrap.

Thinking about it since, I can't believe it would be an issue on a new
rig.

--
Roger Long

Perhaps, but it appears to have failed at the chainplate at the bow.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I think he was talking about retensioning the sheets after everything is
furled. I've seen people do this. With enough tension, there could be
pressure of the foils on the stay at the point where the sheets come off
the wrap.

Thinking about it since, I can't believe it would be an issue on a new
rig.

--
Roger Long

FYI...
http://www.yachtingmonthly.com//auto...539ymnews.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 08:29:17 -0800, Gordon wrote:

Zac's forestay snapped 10 foot above deck. Anyone care to venture why
it snapped at that point?

Was this a solid rod? If so, maybe there was a nick which would
concentrate the stress. Consider that the scratches involved in
cutting glass are not very deep. Fatigue cracking will start at the
nick, but this stuff was new. If there is a kink in cable, it is
weakened and will fail at that point if enough stress is applied.

This was new rigging and inside a roller furling.
Gordon

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:10:09 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

... I just looked, and according to the reports the forestay separated
at the chainplate at the bow not 10 feet up... not sure where that came
from? That was the report Nov. 6th.

Also, he's sailing a cutter rig, so no major rigging failure.

The lower terminal is the favorite for failures.
Closer to the water. Positioned to trap moisture.
All the same, I rerigged a sailboat where the upper stays parted
near the masthead,

Brian W

wrote:

... I just looked, and according to the reports the forestay separated
at the chainplate at the bow not 10 feet up... not sure where that came
from? That was the report Nov. 6th.

Also, he's sailing a cutter rig, so no major rigging failure.

The lower terminal is the favorite for failures.
Closer to the water. Positioned to trap moisture.
All the same, I rerigged a sailboat where the upper stays parted
near the masthead,

Brian W

Seems about right. I guess the early (or distorted) reports were a mid-stay
failure.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Two meter troll" wrote in message
On Nov 9, 8:29 am, Gordon wrote:
Zac's forestay snapped 10 foot above deck. Anyone care to venture why
it snapped at that point?
This was new rigging and inside a roller furling.
Gordon

cause he is trusting wire.
the boys doing a good job of it so far. if he fixes this little
problem he will do fine.
problem i have is he keeps going into port for fixes he could do at
sea.
so what a bit of rigging broke splice it and move on. would take at
worst a couple of hours.
sounds like the boy has a baby sitter.

Tell us how you would 'splice' 1x19 wire...

On Nov 9, 8:29 am, Gordon wrote:

Zac's forestay snapped 10 foot above deck. Anyone care to venture why
it snapped at that point?
This was new rigging and inside a roller furling.
Gordon

cause he is trusting wire.
the boys doing a good job of it so far. if he fixes this little
problem he will do fine.
problem i have is he keeps going into port for fixes he could do at
sea.
so what a bit of rigging broke splice it and move on. would take at
worst a couple of hours.
sounds like the boy has a baby sitter.

Tell us how you would 'splice' 1x19 wire...

With a fid, of course.

Hold the short bottom end bewteen your toes, and the long upper part
of the stay in your teeth.

Then splice like crazy between the rolls!

Edgar wrote:

Tell us how you would 'splice' 1x19 wire...

And inside a roller foil LOL! I'm waiting to hear this. Another non
sailer reveals his ignorance.

--
Roger Long

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote