Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Zac

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...

Zac's forestay snapped 10 foot above deck. Anyone care to venture why it
snapped at that point?
This was new rigging and inside a roller furling.
Gordon

Ha ha ha! Told y'all so. The boy doesn't have a suitable boat and he doesn't
know what he's doing.

It's very easy to figure out why it broke ten foot above deck. Wind the
damned sail up and that's where the clue and sheets end up. Any rocking and
rolling of the boat creates a stress point right there. Stainless steel work
hardens and crystallizes when bent back and forth. Now, we all know how much
Zac motors - he's always relying on his motor and we've heard how rough the
seas have been a lot of the time when the wind was down and his was motoring
along rolling from gunwale to gunwale. Each and every time the sheets yank
on the headstay ten feet up where the clew wraps.

I've been telling you people for too many years to count that roll-up sails
are unseamanlike. This is just further proof. He was stupid to go to sea
with anything other than a selection of 6-8 reliable hank-on headsails for
any and all conditions of wind.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard