Vic Fraenckel

Default Yacht insurance

I am about to purchase a used sailboat (40+ feet). I would like some advice
on insurance companies. Care to share your experiences with any particular
company?

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

TIA

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

santacruz

You didn't say where you are. In the US, Boat US is the cheapest I've
found. 52' sloop, $230K hull value for a little over $900 a year. Set
the deductible as high as they'll let you, unless you're planning to
use it. Buy the boat, car and house insurance at the same place for
multiple discounts. I don't think the auto club does 40' but they
might - I know they didn't do 52' or I'd be there.

Make sure your purchase survey is acceptable to your insurance co -
out of the water, known surveyor, etc - otherwise you'll need a second
survey.

Most US marine insurance brokers are a pain in the ass. Blue Water and
Hayden are 2 of the worst.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 01:26:26 GMT, "Vic Fraenckel"
wrote:

I am about to purchase a used sailboat (40+ feet). I would like some advice
on insurance companies. Care to share your experiences with any particular
company?

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

TIA

Vic

Free Rider

"santacruz" wrote in message
You didn't say where you are. In the US, Boat US is the cheapest I've
found. 52' sloop, $230K hull value for a little over $900 a year. Set
the deductible as high as they'll let you, unless you're planning to
use it. Buy the boat, car and house insurance at the same place for
multiple discounts. I don't think the auto club does 40' but they
might - I know they didn't do 52' or I'd be there.

Make sure your purchase survey is acceptable to your insurance co -
out of the water, known surveyor, etc - otherwise you'll need a second
survey.

Most US marine insurance brokers are a pain in the ass. Blue Water and
Hayden are 2 of the worst.

"Santacruz", would you care to share why you feel Hayden is so bad? My
experience over the last 4 years with them has been exemplary. I'd like to
know what to look out for.

santacruz

So - you think I'm dumb enuff to get into a long detailed "we can tell
who she is and her friends also" discussion - sorry - check around and
watch your checkbook

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:45:30 GMT, "Free Rider"
wrote:

.. .