Stephen Trapani

Default Attach laptop to boat?

Wayne.B wrote:

I took an old, inexpensive laptop on the 2002 Bermuda Race wrapped in
saran wrap. It was a farly wet race with lots of spray finding its
way below to the nav station but the laptop survived fine. I was able
to use the mouse pointer and keyboard right through the saran wrap.

Now you're talking! I use a ziplock baggie for waterproofing my cell
phone. Put a little air in it and the cell phone will even float. And
the cell pone works through the baggie too. The baggie gets wrinkled and
too cloudy after a while but then you can always recycle that bag and
use a new one.

Stephen

Aaron

Right now I'm having a strange vision of some kind of arm,
..
..
it so i can just swivel the laptop around inside the cabin and see it
from both areas.

I currently use a tv wall mount for my monitor. I bought one at Wal-mart
for about $25.00 and throughbolted it. When I'm using the computer it
swings out over the table, and then swings back against the wall when I'm
done. It comes with a securing strap that may or may not work for a
laptop.

Aaron
Sheldon Haynie

Buy a Flat LCD display and mount it on an articulated ARM, so that it can be
swung out into the companion way etc. We have a Lexan drop Board that ours
fits behind. Take your laptop, and put it "away", using remote
keyboard/mouse to minimize the risk from spray.

--
Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments

jchaplain

On Mon, 03 May 2004 08:34:22 -0400, Sheldon Haynie
wrote:

Buy a Flat LCD display and mount it on an articulated ARM, so that it can be
swung out into the companion way etc. We have a Lexan drop Board that ours
fits behind. Take your laptop, and put it "away", using remote
keyboard/mouse to minimize the risk from spray.

Shelton,
Can you recommend any particular inexpensive flat lcd display and
where to het one?
Thanks,
John C.
Vic Fraenckel

| Can you recommend any particular inexpensive flat lcd display and
| where to het one?

check out EarthLCD at:

http://store.earthlcd.com/

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

jeannette

Look the

http://www.ram-mount.com/laptopcomp.htm

Jeannette

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:39:09 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

What is the best way to hold a laptop on a boat? boat shelf with the
right size hardback books to keep it from sliding around? holder arm or
some homemade jig I can copy? A way to see the laptop screen from the
helm in the cockpit on a sail boat? a couple of different attachment
areas maybe?

Does anyone have some brilliant setup? I have an iBook if that matters.

Stephen

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html
Gualtier Malde

Stephen Trapani wrote:

What is the best way to hold a laptop on a boat? boat shelf with the
right size hardback books to keep it from sliding around? holder arm or
some homemade jig I can copy? A way to see the laptop screen from the
helm in the cockpit on a sail boat? a couple of different attachment
areas maybe?

Does anyone have some brilliant setup? I have an iBook if that matters.

Stephen

Try these guys:

http://www.ram-mount.com/

--
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"
Tom Robbins

Rosalie B.

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote:

What is the best way to hold a laptop on a boat?

Try:

http://www.capjack.com/catalog/Lapto...ems.asp?gr=341

A friend had her radar on such an arm so that it could swing out into
the forward companionway.

In our case, with a center cockpit boat, the cockpit is perhaps drier
and less subject to pooping than with an aft cockpit, and Bob has made
a computer box in the corner which has an antenna for the GPS, and
power connections (12V) for the computer and GPS. This has a rubber
back, overlapping plexiglass front panels and formica top and sides,
and is beside the helm station.

http://photomail.photoworks.com/shar...YAUb0zqEuMKKwt
If it is really too wet there, we bungee cord it to the nav station
which is in the aft cabin right by the companionway.
http://photomail.photoworks.com/shar...YAUQGfh0G6MGMN

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
beldar

Stephen Trapani wrote:
I'm not really fond of the idea of not being able to use it during foul
weather and I don't think I can trust a bimini/dodger setup to protect a
laptop in foul weather.

then maybe you might want to consider one of these

nice box! and you don't need to worry about a holder
(pity about the Windoze virus though) but that's easily enough fixed

Looked today ( Boat Choices) Wendy Cruising 82 February 9th 04 02:57 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM