paul martin

Default Reusable rigging wire terminals besides Stalok, Norseman?

Quick Attach is the newest and simplist.

http://bosunsupplies.com/QuickAttach.cfm

Also an article in Good Old Boat showing results of comparative tests
against Sta-Loc and Norseman

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/GoodOldBoatQuickAttach.CFM
Evan Gatehouse

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

I found this test interesting. I was surprized how well the swaged
cable performed. About as well as the best swageless.
And swages cost about 50 cents each.
These days, I take a chinese wire cutter ($15) and grind a swaging
profile in the jaws, so the extended cost at these prices is
one off $16 unit $16
ten off $25 unit $2.50
100 off $115 unit $1.15

I would very much like to know small quantity prices on all the
swageless terminals on the market - amny offers?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
p.s. This hand swager is capable of applying excessive deformations -
easily, so a reasonable swaging jaw profile is required.

I think you might be confusing a Nicropress type sleeve (that is applied
with a lever type hand squeezer) with a swaged terminal that uses very
expensive hydraulic roller presses that squeeze the swage terminal. I've
seen Nicropress sleeves for about what you mention, but swage fittings run
about $15 for a 1/4" for example.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:09:07 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I was certainly thinking of a Nicopress style swage. In reading the
boating press comparitive test, I understood the upper end of the test
section was nicopressed with two sleeves, and a bolted clamp.
Nicopress swages are used for light aircraft control cables
(which are safety-critical.)

Did I them misunderstand that the comparitive test was against a
swage-compressed stainless terminal?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Brian Whatcott

wrote:

[...]

I looked over the test description again, more carefully this time.
The description mentioned a
"C. Sherman Johnson Co. swaged terminal, with the swaged wire assembly
professionally made."

and also mentioned that in all cases, the other end was secured with
two nicopress swaged ferrules and a bolted clamp back up.

In no case, was damage to the nicopress end noted, so I have to
conclude that the double Nicopress fixing was superior to both
roller-swaged, and swageless terminals, and remarkably cheaper.

Is this reasonable, in your view?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Ken Heaton

Comments below:

wrote:

[...]

No, not reasonable. I'm not great at explaining things but I'll try. The
double nicopress fittings could support the load imposed in the tests only
because they were clamping an eye that was passed around a 3" dia. pipe.
Some of the load on the wire was passed to each nicopress fitting but most
was carried by the friction inherent in the eye passing around the 3" pipe.
Think of a rope around a bollard tied back to itself.
--
Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca