Default Rugged Mobile Tablet PCs...

Someone was looking for rugged mobile laptops for their boats not long ago.

I stumbled, as I do a lot, onto this article about ruggedized mobile TABLET
PC's you may find more interesting than the foldup laptop for NAV and
control applications.

http://www.wirelessworkforceonline.c...hResults.aspx?
keyword=mobiletabletpc&TabIndex=0&image1.x=28&imag e1.y=17

These tablets are designed for workforce use, such as sales force on the
road, warehouse uses, etc.

Some with touchscreens instead of the usual touchpad or mouse, would be
great for waypointing directly in the charts themselves.

If you're looking for on-the-cheap, don't even click it. Nothing is free.

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:17:21 +0000, Larry wrote:

Someone was looking for rugged mobile laptops for their boats not long ago.

I stumbled, as I do a lot, onto this article about ruggedized mobile TABLET
PC's you may find more interesting than the foldup laptop for NAV and
control applications.

http://www.wirelessworkforceonline.c...hResults.aspx?
keyword=mobiletabletpc&TabIndex=0&image1.x=28&ima ge1.y=17

These tablets are designed for workforce use, such as sales force on the
road, warehouse uses, etc.

FWIW Oh, I don't know.

About two years ago, I bought an end of the range Toshiba R10 tablet
notebook where the screen swivels around and clips back down as a
tablet. The screen is touch screen as well. As it was a finished model
it was reduced to about AUD $900. The only thing done to it since is
to add another 1 GIG extra RAM, though not needed for chart work.

Makes a handy cockpit chart plotter when in close waters even though I
seldom use it as that. Most times I print out the C-Map chart of the
needed are on A4.

After having had several computers including my backup desktop and
several generations of laptops on board since launching in 1993, I do
not believe that a "ruggedised" laptop is at all necessary. None of
mine have ever failed due to climatic reasons. The only exception was
the IBM laptop that broke its screen to body hinges because of the
ultra fine Kamseen dust blowing onto the Red Sea. They jammed and
later broke.

As I used CMap for navigation, I have a few years old desktop as
backup and two laptops. These, bought new, are still cheaper combined
than any ruggedised one of my aquaintance.

cheers
Peter
Some with touchscreens instead of the usual touchpad or mouse, would be
great for waypointing directly in the charts themselves.

If you're looking for on-the-cheap, don't even click it. Nothing is free.

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:17:21 +0000, Larry wrote:

Someone was looking for rugged mobile laptops for their boats not long ago.

Just a thought

About 5 or 6 years ago wanted to have a monitor on the open to the
elements flying bridge of a 32 metre Malaysian Customs patrol boat as
a slave to the CRT of the desktop on the enclosed bridge below.
Steering could be effected on both bridges.

I bought some Glad Wrap - I think that Americans call it Saren Wrap -
and simply wrapped it around the screen and sealed the plugs into
place with rubber self amalgamating tape. The plastic wrap was
smoothed out on the screen with my credit card to eliminate bubbles.
Being LCD, and only drawing 70 watts (at 220 volts) I felt that there
was no need for ventilation holes.

Surprisingly, sunlight was not a problem, possibly as the flying
bridge had a canvas covering overhead.

Worked well for months as a trial until it was needed elsewhere.

Also, all Customs patrol boats of any size , have an ordinary laptop.
The only problem experienced is that, under way, the touch pads are
impossible to use as a slight bump makes you 'click' the pad. Mice are
necessary.

Incidently, I intend to leave Curacao within a few days pending upon
the winds becoming stronger and head for Aruba (anchor overnight
off-shore) and then the Venezuelan and Colombian waters - Cartagena
being my short term destination before going on to San Blas, Panama
and the wonderful waters of the Pacific and home - EnSha'Allah.

cheers
Peter
New Zealand yacht Herodotus

Tablet PC for GPS? CR General 5 October 19th 06 02:45 PM
Rugged Inflatable Boats + Engineering Conversions Mic Cruising 0 December 29th 05 11:58 PM
FS: 18' BOSTON WHALER Raider - Commercial,Dive,Rugged in iowa!!! Dan Marketplace 0 March 22nd 04 06:35 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Boat Building 1 March 22nd 04 03:37 PM
18' Boston Whaler Raider - Dive, Commercial, Rugged! Dan Cruising 0 March 22nd 04 06:16 AM