CR CR is offline

Default Tablet PC for GPS?

I have access to a few Mil-Spec tablet PC's. Anyone know if there is a way
to convert one to use as a GPS chartplotter?
I currently have a small Garmin unit and would love to utilize the larger
screen of the tablet PC.

CR CR is offline

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:42:44 GMT, "CR" wrote:

I have access to a few Mil-Spec tablet PC's. Anyone know if there is a way
to convert one to use as a GPS chartplotter?
I currently have a small Garmin unit and would love to utilize the larger
screen of the tablet PC.

What does it use for an operating system? Does it have CF capability
or optional card slots - stuff like that?

Has XP on it but I'm not sure of the MHz or ram. I figure if it could run
XP it should be able to run whatever software I need for the GPS

I also has PCMCIA 2 slots and comes with a PCMCIA to CF adapter card.

This is one receiver that I know works very well - I know a few folks
who use them with PocketPCs and regular tablet PCs.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/P...ocketTrack.htm

It really depends on software also. The people I know with that
Fortuna receiver, use Maptech software.

http://www.maptech.com/

This is a resource page I used a while ago when I was thinking of
using a PDA as a portable GPS.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/PocketPC/wince.htm

Thanks for the links- I'll check them out.

Ed Ed is offline

it should run the garmin software called mapsource. Then if you have a
USB port you can plug in any cheap GPS and use the tablet as the front
end. You can also use pretty much any XP based software that takes a
USB GPS
(or serial or Blue tooth if your tab has that IF

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:43:25 GMT, "CR" wrote:

Has XP on it but I'm not sure of the MHz or ram. I figure if it could run
XP it should be able to run whatever software I need for the GPS

If it will run XP then it should also be able to run most of the
popular charting software.

It will need either a serial or USB port to input the GPS data.

RG RG is offline

"Ed" wrote in message
it should run the garmin software called mapsource. Then if you have a
USB port you can plug in any cheap GPS and use the tablet as the front
end. You can also use pretty much any XP based software that takes a
USB GPS
(or serial or Blue tooth if your tab has that IF

Current versions of MapSource no longer support real-time display from a
remote GPS receiver (although older versions will still provide that
support). Not to fret, Garmin has a new program for just that purpose
called nRoute, and it works much better as a large real-time display for a
remote GPS receiver. Oh, and it's a free download. Go here and click the
nRoute link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

It's exactly what the OP is looking for. It will provide the large
real-time display for the Garmin receiver on the tablet PC.

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:17:55 GMT, Tom Francis
wrote:

It will need either a serial or USB port to input the GPS data.

Or compact flash card type receiver which are really cool.

Do you have a URL for one?