Default Dragon Lady, Ruff Times and High Times

On 2008-09-30 15:56:54 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

On 2008-09-30 13:56:35 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Let Lydia write the next one, please.

She's less PC and more to the point. But, caution her about discussing
geriatric sex. It's disgusting to think about. . .

You obviously haven't seen her -- or Skip for that matter.

I haven't seen them but I recall she said she was a single mom of four
grown children. That would make her 45-50. That's not quite geriatric
sex but close, IMO. True, some women that age I've seen can still look
pretty good provided they take the time to get and stay very physically
fit. But, that's very rare.

Exactly! I expect that when she's out with her kids, she's mistaken for
their sister.

And if you think 45-50 is near-geriatric.... You just ain't been with
the right women.

Experience and skill will trump childish enthusiasm every time.

--
Jere Lull

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:37:46 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

As I send this, we're expecting to depart either Wednesday
afternoon/evening, or Thursday morning. The next log entries will
come via sailmail, meaning that only the log and the newsgroup will
see them until we've again achieved normal internet connectivity,
where those en-route postings will be put up after we arrive, wherever
it is we land :{)) You can also follow us at our SPOT shared page,
which puts up 10-minute intervals of where we are, at
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...PLcZGvSb3 nMe

Looks like you've got a good weather window coming up as of Thursday
morning. Should be stable but light north westerlies going NE
further south after 2 or 3 days. Be prepared do do lots of motoring
in light following seas. If it were us we'd be looking to duck in at
Norfolk, VA towards the end of the weather window, get some rest, get
some relatively inexpensive diesel at Portsmouth, VA, and wait for the
next break in the weather before heading around Cape Hatteras and the
OBX.

wrote:

[...]

????

We live between the two spots, and I don't consider what I see a
weather window.

At best, the predicted conditions allow local movement.

And the weather produced by "Harass" this time of the year will prove
every prognosticator a lier.

I really don't like to be so boringly conservative about Hattarass, but
I do not believe you understand how unpredictable and destructive that
area usually is. Most who know the area feel lucky when they pass
unnoticed by Momma/Poseidon.

Boring as the ICW is, I will not jump out north of Beaufort, NC because
I respect Hattarass's rep too well, have heard too many friends'
personal stories.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-10-01 14:04:34 -0400, Wayne.B

wrote:

[...]

I've sailed past Hatteras about five or six times going both north and
south. I've always used the yacht channel through it and not the outside
route. The yacht channel is surrounded by shoals and shallow waters. It's
always been easy to locate and sail through. I've never had rough weather in
that area but I've never attempted it except with a fair winds forecast.

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/OnLineVi...iewerTable.htm

Here is a good list of charts and you can view them and magnify them. Chart
11520 shows detail of Hatteras and the inside passage great for small
yachts.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 00:30:29 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Boring as the ICW is, I will not jump out north of Beaufort, NC because
I respect Hattarass's rep too well, have heard too many friends'
personal stories.

I couldn't agree more regarding Hatteras but I believe (perhaps
incorrectly), that Skip has a bridge clearance issue with his mast
height. If your mast is over 64 ft, not uncommon with a 46 footer,
there is no choice but to go outside or unstep the rig. I'm seeing a
weather window off the NJ coast and Delmarva Penninsula that should be
sufficient to reach Norfolk, VA. After that it's anyone's guess.

On 2008-10-01 21:14:12 -0400, Wayne.B said:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 00:30:29 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Boring as the ICW is, I will not jump out north of Beaufort, NC because
I respect Hattarass's rep too well, have heard too many friends'
personal stories.

I couldn't agree more regarding Hatteras but I believe (perhaps
incorrectly), that Skip has a bridge clearance issue with his mast
height. If your mast is over 64 ft, not uncommon with a 46 footer,
there is no choice but to go outside or unstep the rig.

Flying Pig has already traversed the area, so that's not a problem for them.

Those who have been there will recognize that monster steak Skip
reported on the Virginia Cut. (Coinjock?)

I'm seeing a weather window off the NJ coast and Delmarva Penninsula
that should be sufficient to reach Norfolk, VA. After that it's
anyone's guess.

That is exactly what I've been saying as an admitted Chicken Little.
Hatarass is a crap-shoot at the best of times.

I will admit to trying to "push" them towards the Chesapeake because
I'd love to see the result of their meeting my lovely lady Pat, and
that's likely only in the upper Bay.

As I write, FP's 24th Spot position put them abreast of Monmouth Beach,
a few miles south of their anchorage though (finally) in the Atlantic.

'Tis a pretty fair distance from there to the decision-point at Cape
May even with the westerly or northerly winds I see forecast.

We'll see which course they take from there in a dozen or two hours.

--
Jere Lull

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 01:45:02 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Flying Pig has already traversed the area, so that's not a problem for them.

Those who have been there will recognize that monster steak Skip
reported on the Virginia Cut. (Coinjock?)

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Actually it's prime ribs at the
Coinjock Marina, and the reputation is well deserved. I've never had
better and never been disappointed. We were there 3 times last year,
once going north, again going south, and the last time by car while we
were waiting for engine work at Manteo.

'Tis a pretty fair distance from there to the decision-point at Cape
May even with the westerly or northerly winds I see forecast.

We'll see which course they take from there in a dozen or two hours.

I wouldn't bet a nickel on them going through the Chesapeake after the
big build up we've heard. That's one problem with a too public
announcement of plans.

the pond

On 2008-10-01 22:02:21 -0400, Wayne.B said:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 01:45:02 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

'Tis a pretty fair distance from [where they are] to the decision-point
at Cape May even with the westerly or northerly winds I see forecast.

We'll see which course they take from there in a dozen or two hours.

I wouldn't bet a nickel on them going through the Chesapeake after the
big build up we've heard. That's one problem with a too public
announcement of plans.

That's one reason I keep on pointing out alternatives and reasons why not ;-)

They are CRUISERS! Changes of plan are expected from cruisers. Plans
are suggestions, not the rule to cruisers. That things didn't work out
as planned a trivial problem, as they're cruising.

Stuff happens, Momma disagrees with their plans. Don't cross Momma if
you value your life.

So what if Mum (as delightful an individual as you'll meet) meets them
wherever they are rather wherever they planned?

I dare say Mum is more interested in being with them than where she
catches up with them.

Mum hasn't seen much of the ICW yet, and that's a magical place.
Florida is boring when directly compared.

And given FP's current position, the current weather, and the schedule
I recall, FP could comfortably duck into the Chesapeake and sail/motor
to Beaufort NC and south while maintaining their schedule.

I really, really don't want my friends challenging Hatteras during its
most unpredictable season.

--
Jere Lull

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 05:18:36 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Mum hasn't seen much of the ICW yet, and that's a magical place.
Florida is boring when directly compared.

We've done almost all of the Atlantic ICW, and while I'd agree that
there are some great places along the way, I would not trade for
Florida.

How much Florida boating have you done ? There are countless miles
here of the greatest and most diverse boating you could imagine.

I really, really don't want my friends challenging Hatteras during its
most unpredictable season.

We'll see.

January 1 - It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... Skip Gundlach Cruising 12 January 3rd 08 01:09 AM
Sad times Scotty ASA 7 December 21st 07 06:31 AM
How many times..................... JimH General 84 August 7th 06 07:54 PM
High Times Skip Gundlach Cruising 48 January 4th 06 10:12 PM