Skip Gundlach

Default High Times

Well, up the mast, anyway!

This has probably been covered to death, but I think I recall discussions in
this space before about improvements on the typical bosun chair to the
effect of good mountain climbing gear.

Looking at climbing harnesses on REI, a frequently mentioned retailer of
such stuff, the harnesses I see don't look the least bit like I'd have
expected.

Are there any here with experience in this sort of gear? What should we look
for for up-the-mast use (in place of the bosun chair, of which I have a fine
one, but this is supposed to be far superior in comfort and safety)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to the boat on Friday to work during the holiday week

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

krj

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Well, up the mast, anyway!

This has probably been covered to death, but I think I recall discussions in
this space before about improvements on the typical bosun chair to the
effect of good mountain climbing gear.

Looking at climbing harnesses on REI, a frequently mentioned retailer of
such stuff, the harnesses I see don't look the least bit like I'd have
expected.

Are there any here with experience in this sort of gear? What should we look
for for up-the-mast use (in place of the bosun chair, of which I have a fine
one, but this is supposed to be far superior in comfort and safety)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to the boat on Friday to work during the holiday week

Skip,
Check out the ATN topclimber at http://www.atninc.com/topclimber.html
krj
Skip Gundlach

Default ATN TopClimber (was) High Times

Are you suggesting that as a harness, or a climbing method?

I think I'm aware of that - but I'm talking about something worn to allow
you sitting comfort while up, without the ability to upend yourself
accidentally, not something to ascend a wire-tight line.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

--

"krj" wrote in message
Skip Gundlach wrote:

[...]

Wayne.B

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:14:53 -0500, "Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at
gmail dotcom wrote:

Looking at climbing harnesses on REI, a frequently mentioned retailer of
such stuff, the harnesses I see don't look the least bit like I'd have
expected.

=================================

I used to have an REI harness in my inventory when I was actively
racing but have misplaced it somewhere. It was OK but not overly
comfortable, and it takes a little practice to get it on properly.

Climbing harnesses are very popular with the foredeck crew on good
sized racing boats because they can be worn all the time, and these
guys need to be able to scurry up the mast or out to the end of the
spinnaker pole on a moments notice. Other than that, the only other
advantage in my opinion is light weight and compact size. And oh yes,
they do project a certain macho aura among the uninitiated female set.

I personally find a conventional canvas sling type seat or even an old
fashioned board seat to be more comfortable. I just bought a new
canvas sling seat from WM last week which has a tool pocket and safety
straps, all that I need, for about $80 if I recall.

krj

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Are you suggesting that as a harness, or a climbing method?

I think I'm aware of that - but I'm talking about something worn to allow
you sitting comfort while up, without the ability to upend yourself
accidentally, not something to ascend a wire-tight line.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Did you look at the web site? Play the video? It is a boson's chair to
sit in when you get up where you want to be. Stand in the stirups, push
the chair attachment up the rope, sit in the chair, push the stirups up,
stand up, push the chair up. Do that until you get to the point you
want to work. Sit in the chair to work unless you need to work over the
masthead, then stand in the stirups.
krj

"krj" wrote in message
Did you look at the web site? Play the video? It is a boson's chair to sit
in when you get up where you want to be. Stand in the stirups, push the
chair attachment up the rope, sit in the chair, push the stirups up, stand
up, push the chair up. Do that until you get to the point you want to
work. Sit in the chair to work unless you need to work over the masthead,
then stand in the stirups.
krj

I have, in the past.

I'm also aware of similar methods of ascent in climbing gear, very highly
recommeded by climbers who are also sailors. I've not yet decided how I
want to get up - but I was thinking in terms of what to wear when I got
there.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Gary

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Well, up the mast, anyway!

This has probably been covered to death, but I think I recall discussions in
this space before about improvements on the typical bosun chair to the
effect of good mountain climbing gear.

Looking at climbing harnesses on REI, a frequently mentioned retailer of
such stuff, the harnesses I see don't look the least bit like I'd have
expected.

Are there any here with experience in this sort of gear? What should we look
for for up-the-mast use (in place of the bosun chair, of which I have a fine
one, but this is supposed to be far superior in comfort and safety)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, off to the boat on Friday to work during the holiday week

They'll all do the trick. Just get a comfortable one, preferably one
size fits all unless you are the only one that goes up your mast.

They aren't as comfortable as a bosuns chair but they sure are handy and
can be a spare safety harness too.
Gary

Skip Gundlach wrote:
"krj" wrote in message

[...]

That is for canyoneering, very uncomfortable and sticky.

This is what I have (left over from climbing)

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=4500671
Glenn Ashmore

Being somewhat acrophobia I have a Brion Toss designed riggers harness. It
is very comfortable and you can't fall out of it but it ain't cheap. Also a
pair of Petzl ascenders. The right hand one is hooked to one of the harness
chest D-rings and the other to some webbing for the feet. So far I have
only used it to replace the halyard on my 60' flag pole but I was able to
make it to the top by myself using the "inch worm" technique without getting
totally exhausted and worked comfortably and did a little sight seeing up
there for a while. That rig is going to have a special place on Rutu.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com