Default Cruise up the Potomac??

We left this morning (Saturday) and drove down to the marina (23 miles
by road), and got on the boat, cast the lines off, and with some
difficulty due to an adverse wind which blew us sideways down the
fairway, we motored out of Smith Creek to the Potomac. We
decided that since there was predicted to be a NE wind all week (with
the exception of tonight) it would be a perfect time to go up the
Potomac to D.C., which we've never done. The obvious first stop would
be Colonial Beach VA, but we decided to try out the new pier/dock in
Leonardtown about a mile and a half from our house.

After the difficulty getting out of the marina, we were motor sailing
happily along with the jib and main up, and Bob decided to put up the
staysail and turn off the engine.

What was that terrible racket? Oh S***. The transmission and drive
shaft have come apart. Shut off the engine. We are sailing gently up
the Potomac with no power.

So Bob gets down in the engine compartment and fixes it.

Turn the engine back on - seems to work.

We sail up Breton Bay and the guy renting kayaks helps us to tie up.
Trip was 24 nm

After everything is stowed, we start to walk up the hill to town. It
is a steep hill. I have to stop 4 or 5 times to catch my breath and
wait for my heart to stop pounding. We had dinner at one of our
favorite places in town and then walked back down. I didn't have to
stop so many times on the way down.

I wanted to do the route for tomorrow to Colonial Beach, but the other
computer hangs. We have no electricity here and using this one on the
12v system makes it cranky

This little park that the town has made on the waterfront is VERY
popular. Lots of activity - people walking/strolling and some of them
smooching. And also there seems to be a wireless network here. I
understand from the marinas that we have booked later on, that this is
the last place I will be able to get the internet, so I thought I'd
better go ahead and do it.

I left my cane at home and also my hat and the thing that holds my
glasses on. Bob has left his extra medications. So he walked all the
way home and back (about 2 miles).

Sunday - Sept 21

Bob says we were on the bottom last night at low tide. The bathrooms
were open all night. I tried to start the Toshiba and it refused to
boot and would hang. I tried using the older Dell and
after a little bit (I was having trouble seeing because my glasses
were fogging up), I remembered that the GPS makes the cursor act
crazy. So we did without the computer navigation for most of the day.
We cast off about 8:15. It took us about a hour and a half to get
down to where we could see the newly rebuilt lighthouse on St.
Clements Island.

We were headed for Colonial Beach which is across on the Virginia
side. We had a hard time seeing the Red 2 because at the angle we
were approaching, there were no triangles on the side we were looking
at. At first I mistook a red truck parked along the waterfront for
the marker, and then I saw what turned out to be a red flag hung from
someone's balcony. We knew there was a red 2 and then a red 4 down by
the entrance channel. Eventually Bob said that he saw the marker by a
place where he had seen people coming out, and that was it. We were
inside the channel by 12:15, after 20 nm.

We knew that the man at the marina had said he would be alone on
Sunday and probably would not be able to help us tied up, so we went
up to an available dock right at the entrance and a man across the
dock in a power boat helped us tie up before he left. He also pointed
out the office and the restaurant. After we tied up, we walked over
to the office. We met the marina person (name of Bruce) but he was on
his way back to the gas dock, so we said we'd pay after lunch.

The restaurant there is the Dockside Restaurant and Blue Heron Pub,
and they have a sports bar, an inside restaurant and an outside deck.
Bob had an oyster po-boy for lunch and I had a Canadian Mountie (which
was a chicken breast, Canadian bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce sandwich).
It was very messy to eat as a sandwich - BBQ sauce everywhere. After
lunch, we walked back toward the boat, but Bruce was still busy, so
Bob walked over to the boat and I sat outside the office and waited to
pay.

A couple from another boat in the marina were walking their two dogs
and came by the boat to find out if we were cruisers. They've been
over to the Med and down to the Caribbean. I think we were a
disappointment to them as we haven't done that much. They had been to
the SSCA meeting earlier that day. Later on in the day another couple
came by who live across the creek. It seems a long way to go to look
at boats. They said that this marina had burned to the ground several
years ago - at first the lady thought the explosion noises were from
Dalgren, but a friend called and told her to look out her marina. She
said boats were burning and they had burned their mooring lines and
were floating around burning - like a Viking funeral she said.

For dinner, we went back to the restaurant. Bob had a half dozen raw
oysters, and asked for a half pound of steamed shrimp and some cole
slaw, but they gave him a pound instead. I had crab Norfolk, which
came with a salad (a big heap of greens plus two tiny cherry tomatoes
and two tiny pieces of cucumber. I ate the tomato and cucumber and a
little of the greens. There was also a huge baked potato and some
fried zucchini. I had trouble eating it all, although I did have part
of a creme brulee for dessert.

The wind was calm and the marina was mirror like, but Bob worried all
night about how we would get away from the dock because there was an
old wooden sailboat in front of us, and at some stages of the tide
there is a lot of current in the marina channel.

Monday - Sept 21

The boat in front of us left before we did so we had no problem. I
could see the Red 4 from where we were in the marina, so all we had to
do was turn and go out. We left the marina about 8:15. There were
crab pot boats busily laying their traps out.

Although when we came in, I could see the Governor Nice Bridge and the
Morgantown PEPCO plant with the binoculars, it was a little foggy this
morning, and we couldn't see the bridge. As we motored out, I picked
out things long the river side of the town - the Riverboat gambling
place build over the water (so as to be on the Maryland side), and the
new motels were mixed in with turreted Victorian houses. The Colonial
Beach water tower presided over the whole. I did wonder what the
little stands along the water were for - they looked like watch towers
and I wasn't sure if they were lifeguard stand but we later found they
were spotting towers for Dahlgren Proving Grounds. We saw the yellow
markers which were for the range boat stations.

After an hour we could see the bridge and there was a barge with a
crane under it. With the binoculars I could see that traffic across
the main span was only one way. We passed by the green 33 spider
downstream of the bridge and also Dahlgren. On the other side of the
bridge, the markers start the numbers over again from #1.

The barge (which had a tug next to it and another one standing by) had
the spuds up, and apparently this is the Albemarle Barge Boat Station.
As we went up to the barge (which was not really under the bridge) it
hissed at me several times - a compressor I guess. Going under the
bridge was interesting but not stressful. We passed Aqua Land on the
other side the Mathias Point green 5 spider. By 11:30 we were passing
Indian Head.

The wind was on the nose - so much for the predictions - it is just
funneling down the river. When the river went around a turn, Bob put
up the staysail, but the wind then died to nothing, so he took it down
again. We were passed by a tall ship which we later found out was
Godspeed from Jamestown on the way to Alexandria. They had no sails
up and the passed us like we were standing still - two huge diesels
power that boat. Mattawoman Creek was guarded by a flotilla of crab
pots.

The Potomac has a Cedar Point, a Smith Point, a Maryland Point, and a
Sandy Point, just like the Chesapeake. Two little butterflies kept
pace with the boat for awhile. A barge came down river pushed by a
tug. Soon the burnt out hulk of a barge was on our starboard in
Mallows Bay. By two fifteen, we could see Quantico ahead of us. The
Godspeed was there ahead of us

The girl I talked to on the phone told us that the marina was closed
on Monday and the girl said to turn to port and take the spot on the
T-head. So we did. We tied up by ourselves because there was no one
to help. It wasn't hard as there was little wind. The Toshiba worked
perfectly well all day.

The folks on Godspeed (who had been there before) gave Bob the
bathroom combination and the one to the pedestrian gates. But they
gave him the wrong combination to the gate. They were on their way up
to Alexandria. Actually the gates are often left open.

There is a lot of weed in the water at the marina and there is a
bubbler in the slip next to us which we later found out was to try to
keep the hydrilla down as it doesn't like flowing water. There is a
great blue heron which hangs out down around the outer marina bulkhead
and also some terns or skimmers (haven't looked them up to see which).

Everyone said there were a lot of restaurants up in town, so about
4:30, we started to walk up and this time I took my cane. Before we
went out the gate, Bob decided to see if the combination that he was
given was correct, so I stayed inside and he went out and locked the
gate behind him and then tried to combination. It didn't work. Some
folks from Godspeed came back with a cart full of stuff and the
couldn't get in either. Finally a girl from Godspeed on her way to
take a shower told us that it was the reverse of the bathhouse
combination.

After we got out of the dockside gate, we had to walk around the end
of the car gate. It looked like low tide as there was a lot of
seaweed exposed on the shore.

We walked up into town with some of the Godspeed people. We passed
Sam's Inn Bar and Grill, the Mason's building, and the Quantico Garden
(oriental food). We stopped at the Q'town Grill Deli/Restaurant for
dinner. Bob had lasagna and I had the spicy chicken special which had
carrots, broccoli and rice. Apparently you can come in to this place
and bring your laptop and there is free wi-fi.

On the way back to the boat, I stopped at a Hans Christian where I
could see a man in the companionway arguing with someone inside, and
said "Hi", and the owner of the boat came out and came down to look at
our boat. He'd been previously but we were up in town. He said that
Joey had set him up with the wi-fi and they didn't know how it was
done. His cat came down with him, and stayed around after he left to
go to dinner.

Bob decided to not set up the DirectTV receiver and just do the
digital broadcasts. This turned out to mean that we got 33 channels,
but they were all several versions of the same thing. In Colonial
Beach, we got the Washington broadcast channels, but here in Quantico
we got Baltimore too. So we'd get channel 2 regular broadcast and
then 2 Weather broadcast, 4 regular broadcast, 4 weather, and another
4 broadcast of some kind. We didn't get channel 22 though. We
couldn't get Monday night football, so we watched Dancing with the
Stars.

In the evening, I looked at the various weather channels after Bob was
asleep, and the channel 5 news said that it was going to be really
high winds with gusts to 40 or 50 knots. Weds and Thurs. After I was
asleep, I heard the windmill start to work, and I woke Bob up and said
I was worried about the wind having picked up. He went on back to
sleep.

Tuesday: Sept 23 - Bob went up into the cockpit and looked around and
said that he didn't see how we could get out of the marina as the wind
was blowing directly in the inlet and we were being blown hard up
against the pier.

So we stayed there Tuesday. I figured out several alternative ideas.
We could stay in Quantico until Friday and then go back to Colonial
Beach. We could see if we could get up to Washington on Wednesday
instead and just be there for one day.

But high winds were predicted for Wednesday and Thursday with rain
starting Thursday and continuing Friday and into Saturday. Although
the winds reported in Quantico were CALM, Bob said that the winds at
our mast were 20 gusting to 26 to 30.

So we went over to the office and talked to them. Bob got ice and I
paid for 2 days (Monday and Tuesday) as I thought that was the minimum
that we would be there. We watched as Godspeed got underway. They
seemed sure that they would be able to get under the bridge, but Rick
(the guy from the Hans Christian) said at lunch time that he heard
that the bridge would be opening, so maybe they weren't able to do it.
But I haven't heard anything on the TV about it.

I thought we might possibly get out early the next morning before the
winds picked up, so I called Colonial Beach to see if we could come
back there early, but they are closed on Tuesday. Bob cleaned the
engine filters and they weren't as dirty as he thought they might be.
We had lunch on the boat, and I went over and used the showers (nice
showers with a seat in them).

The people in the office said that Joey (the Quantico YC CIO) came
over for lunch each day and possibly he could get me on the internet.
Sure enough, Joey came down and added me to the group so I could do
the internet. Which I did happily until suddenly it kicked me off.
Joey had given me his card, so I called him, and he came down again in
the evening and gave me a text file with the access code, but I didn't
need it again.

The people in the slip next to us came back from their two days of
sailing, and Bob helped them get tied up - they had trouble because of
the high winds which we were still having. Since we had watched
Martha Stewart's show on all the various ways to cook hot dogs that
morning we had hot dogs for dinner. For some reason we couldn't find
the second night of Dancing With the Stars on any of the digital
channels.

I decided that we should try to get out early in the morning and get
down to Colonial Beach before the wind really picked up. We also
wanted a pump-out but the pumpout slip at Quantico had a big log in it
so we thought we might do it in Colonial Beach. We were worried that
the holding tank was full, but it wasn't, so maybe it is just a bad
joker valve or a clogged vent.

Wednesday- Sept 24

Bob woke up really early, and we were both dressed and ready to go at
5:30 am. The wind was calmer and was blowing us away from the dock,
and the tide was going out of the marina entrance. Bob backed into
the fairway and then powered forward out of the marina entrance and by
6:15, we were underway! It was still dark. Bob asked where to go,
and I pointed down the river. That wasn't good enough.

I booted up the Toshiba and let it go through it's scandisk routine
and it said it had fixed the problem, but I wasn't too sure of it. I
set the GPSs so we could follow our previous track down to Colonial
Beach. We turned all the instrument lights on. At 6:40 there was
light starting in the sky and I took a picture behind us of Quantico
in the distance.

By 7:30 it was full light, and we had turned off all the instrument
lights and the running light and were down by Indian Head. I called
the marina at 8 and they weren't open until 9, so I called back then.
I asked if we could have a pumpout and she said that would be OK and
she would look up our slip assignment.

I saw a big bird on one of the ATONs - bigger than the gulls that are
usually there. I thought it might be an osprey, so I took the
binoculars and looked - no brown eye stripe. It was a bald eagle.
Which flew off before I got a picture :-(

The Toshiba tanked again, so I turned it off. The wind really picked
up and Bob had the sails up and we were doing 7+ knots under power and
sail. We were down to Pope's Creek by 9:30. It was close to 10 when
we got to the 301 bridge - there was a sailboat there which was
dancing around under the bridge. When they got up to us, we saw that
they had "Voyage for Cleaner Energy" painted on the side.

After we got to the other side, someone came up on the radio for the
southbound sailboat at the 301 bridge, so I answered. It turned out
to be the Dahlgren range boat, and they asked us go over to the red 30
and red 32 and then to head for Swan's Point before we crossed to
Colonial Beach. At first when the range boat came up I thought he was
the other sailboat, but he was much too polite for that Anyway, we saw
R30 and 32 on the chart - now to find them in person.

On the chart they marked a very shallow 3 foot shoal. I didn't want
to cross there. But Bob said we should cross to the left of them. The
wind was also REALLY picking up to 26 knots or better and the boat was
heeling. That made Bob happy, but me not so much.

We eventually went by the R30 on the 'wrong' side of it - i.e. going
down the river it should have been on our port side, and wen passed on
the starboard. Note to Skip - I did that 'wrong side' of the red
marker coming out of a river and our guest down in the cabin also fell
and hit her head. It was a REALLY quick stop. I remembered that and
didn't want to repeat it.

Then we headed for Swan Point. Bob had me steer into
the wind to take in the jib, but it was wrapped so tight that he
didn't have the lines around it like usual. He took in the staysail.
Then he tried to depower the main by putting it way out to the side so
it wouldn't heel the boat as much. Eventually he had to have me steer
again so he could take the main in. In the excitement, I forgot which
way to steer to come into the wind but not go through it, which didn't
make him very happy.

After we got all the sails in, we were really rocking and rolling. We
crossed at Swans Point, and AGAIN couldn't find the Red 2. When we
did find it we saw again that it had room for about 8 red triangles
and there were only two. Bob put the lines out but he said we were
GOING to tie up port side to the dock and so he did not put out lines
on the starboard side. Big mistake.

I called the marina on the radio about 11:30 - no answer. I tried on
the phone - no answer. As we came in to the dock, we saw that the
huge boat Miss Ann was taking on fuel from a Texaco truck, and they
were blocking the pump-out dock. So Bob figured that he'd go where we
had been before, but he wanted port side tie so we would be pointing
out the inlet. But because of the wind, he couldn't get the boat to
turn around to port. So NOW he wanted me to take the lines from the
port side and put them on the starboard side. RIGHT.

I yelled at a man with a bike on the walkway HELP and he came over and
took my bow line. Bob was jumping on and off the boat. He was really
****ed. But we DID get tied up and he put us on the end of the dock
so that no one would be in front of us to worry about.

Bob was annoyed, and I was REALLY ****ed that the marina couldn't have
anyone come and help us. They all went to lunch together.

There's no internet anywhere in Colonial Beach except in the library,
which is where I am now. We rented a golf cart. Bob wants to go to
dinner, so I'll take him back to the boat.

Nice post Rosealie.
I havent been up that way in some time, so your posting inspires me to
do so.

Still have those hand painted screens on your ports?

regards
RichH

RichH wrote:

Nice post Rosealie.
I havent been up that way in some time, so your posting inspires me to
do so.

Still have those hand painted screens on your ports?

regards
RichH

Yes we do. I have to redo the ones that are on the stern as the
engine smokes them up, and some of the earlier ones are getting faded.
Maybe later this winter I'll do that.

I read what I wrote to Bob and he had some corrections.

Bob said it only took him a half hour each way to walk home from the
dock in Leonardtown. Many people stopped by the boat and one of them
was a lady who was from Ireland and her husband. They were worried
about Bob walking home, so they got in their car and went and looked
for him. But he was already almost back.

Bob say he did not have an oyster po-boy for lunch in Colonial Beach -
it was a shrimp po-boy. I didn't take a photo of it because my camera
battery ran out at that moment.

This sentence ...
at first the lady thought the explosion noises were from
Dalgren, but a friend called and told her to look out her marina.

should have said "look out her window at the marina"

The antique sailboat in front of us in Colonial Beach wasn't a wooden
boat - it was steel.

In Quantico Tuesday morning, Bob had to put extra fenders out because
the wind was blowing us against the pier so hard.

More about our adventures in Colonial Beach

Our trip down the river from Quantico was 34.7 nm (a mile farther than
on the way up because of having to detour over to Swan's Point), and
our average speed was 5.7 knots, which was 0.6 knot faster probably
due to our going down the river rather than up. The maximum speed was
7.3 knots which was much faster than before.

Anyway, because Bob was annoyed and so was I, I walked over to use the
bathrooms and talked to (complained) the folks there by the shop about
our 'welcome' to the marina.

When the office lady came back, she said she had phoned my cell phone
and left a message about the pump out slip. Which mollified me
somewhat, but I still don't see why, when I told her that we would be
there between 11 and 12, everyone decided to go to lunch at the same
time at 11:30. She remarked that I must be the first person who
arrived at the time that I had said I would. I paid for 3 days,
planning to leave Saturday because it was predicted to be really windy
again on Thursday and to start to rain, and to rain all day on Friday.

I decided I wanted to rent a golf cart and see what there was to see
in Colonial Beach. There's a trolley in the season, but not at this
time of year. The marina office lady called for me, and they came and
picked us up and gave us a gas golf cart with rain curtains. I signed
for it. Bob didn't think much of the idea as he said we could rent a
car for a week for that price ($61/day).

We got the cart for Weds and Thurs and they waived the $15 overnight
fee and gave us $10 discount for the rental not being on the weekend.
I figured I could see what I could on Wednesday when it wasn't
raining, and then Thursday before the rain started, and then we could
go to lunch and dinner on Thursday and just eat at the marina on
Friday.

After we got the cart, I drove it across the street to Fat Freda's
(Best Sandwiches on the Beach). [The marina restaurant isn't open
until 3 on Weds. anyway] Bob had a pulled pork sandwich and I had the
special which was the chicken cranberry chutney salad. ($6.99). After
lunch, I made Bob drive. The cart would lurch wildly and backfire if
you tried to drive it slowly, so you had to put your foot down.
Sometimes it would also backfire at stop signs. The turn signals did
not cancel, so you had to be careful not to leave them especially
overnight.

We went by the museum (which is only open Sat and Sun but is free),
and along Monroe Bay Ave. to the marina. Monroe Bay is the inlet that
goes into the middle of Colonial Beach. Then we (or at least I) had a
nap because we got up so early in the morning. Bob also installed
the direct TV receiver.

At about 4:30 we went out again to find a place to eat dinner, and we
drove along the Potomac side. I had picked out some things to see,
and restaurants to find. First we went by Bell House which is now a
bed and breakfast. It used to be where Alexander Graham Bell spent
his summers as a child.

We drove over most of the town. There were some places where only
golf carts and bicycles were allowed - no cars. I was looking for
churches and cemeteries, but there were no cemeteries. We passed a
little house with two huge (4 feet high) Fu Dogs, but I missed getting
a photo of them. The town was festooned with For Sale signs on many
houses, and other places have already started to put up decorations
for Halloween. We saw the Post Office, the school athletic field,
Lenny's Restaurant (out of business), the American Legion Hall, the
Hunan Dinner (Chinese), and debated between going to the Riverboat on
the Potomac (off track betting and a restaurant) or High Tides for
dinner. Eventually we picked High Tides.

We sat by the window, and I watched a little boy playing on the sand.
He was chasing some female mallard ducks. I had a cup of the soup of
the day which was seafood gumbo to start - it was VERY spicy. Bob
also had a cup of soup. We both had virgin pina colas. Bob had a
Fish and Chips Basket (appetizer) $8.99, and I had the coconut shrimp
appetizer $9.99. While we were eating, we saw a lady come ashore in
a kayak - she was a bit wet.

After we ate, we came home and put the side curtains down on the golf
cart went to bed

Thursday morning we were up fairly early. I used the golf cart to go
to the bathrooms which are a bit of a walk. Bob looked at the holding
tanks and said the forward one was full, and the aft one was
definitely not, but we should use the marina bathrooms whenever
possible and just wait to get a pumpout until we got back to our
marina.

Whenever I asked where I could do the internet, everyone said the
library. So I tried to call the library but it did not answer at 9 or
at 10. Eventually I called the town hall and she said that on
Thursday, they opened at one and were open until 9 pm. She did not
know whether they had only their own computers or if they had wi-fi.
It had started to rain, so I was writing up the previous day's trips
on the computer on the boat.

The tides were VERY high and up over the parking lots and into the
streets in a lot of cases. On our floating dock, there is a ramp to a
fixed dock and the ramp goes DOWN to the fixed dock at high tide.

So about 11:30, we put on our rain gear and went out to get lunch. We
saw a restaurant called the Happy Clam yesterday and decided to eat
there. This restaurant was formerly called the Lighthouse. It was
part of, or next to, a seafood store and the Bayside Marina. There
are a lot of marinas along the west side of Monroe Bay but I'm not
sure we could get into them with a 5 foot draft. Bayside is one of
them.

I had hot tea and shrimp salad with hush puppies. Bob had soup and
tuna salad and cole slaw. Then we both wanted coconut cake, but it
apparently hadn't 'set up' yet, so Bob had double chocolate cake and I
had chocolate pie.

We got to the library about a half hour before it opened, and I walked
around town a little bit while we waited. When we got in, they had
BOTH wi-fi and their own computers. Not only that, but if they aren't
open, you can sit outside and still use it. So Bob went back and got
my computer while I worked on their computer. Then he sat and read a
book while I computed. About 5, he said he was tired of reading, so
we went back to the marina, and I dropped him off and went back to the
library.

It was still light when I got back there and I tried to figure out how
to turn on the golf cart lights, but Bob said the switch didn't seem
to work and I couldn't make them turn on with any other switch I tried
either. I did eventually get the emergency flashers to work. I kept
on doing the internet there and sent the previous emails until about
7:30 and then I was tired. A scout master that was talking to the
librarians went out with me to see if he could figure out the switch
but he said the thought it was broken, but at least the cart was
white. He also said I'd get a ticket for driving without lights.

I set out to drive back to the marina. It was raining lightly and
there are no windshield wipers on the cart so when there were street
lights, they glared off the window and I couldn't see. And when there
weren't street lights I could just barely make out the reflection of
the center line on the road in the dim light of the flashers. I
couldn't tell whether there was water over the road or whether the
shoulder of the road had a drop off (or if there even was a shoulder)
either. Nor could I see any road signs. A couple of times I got out
and wiped the window off with my rain gear sleeve, but it didn't help
for long.

So whenever I saw any kind of car headlights, I pulled as far off the
road as I dared and stopped and sat there flashing until the car was
out of sight. I was a bit worried about the police and I wanted to be
a sort of stealth ghost golf cart, but this goal was more or less
thwarted by the golf cart tendency to backfire whenever I slowed down.
Eventually I got back to the marina and parked and locked the cart
(after writing THIS CART HAS NO LIGHTS on the tag on the wheel), and I
put the keys in the marina mailbox.

Friday: We hung around the boat and watched TV. When I booted up
this computer to download pictures none of the USB ports worked. I
finally turned it off and turned back on again and then they worked. I
tried to get the virus definitions to download in the library and they
wouldn't download. So now it wants updates and it can't have them.

Bob washed the waterline down about a foot under water on the dock
side. He says we have to haul the boat after we get back, and the
zippers on the enclosure are deteriorating so we need a whole new
bimini (which is 10 years old), dodger and side curtains. We had the
last of the roast beef for lunch. I tried booting up the Toshiba a
couple of times and once it did and once it didn't.

There is a mute swan in this section of the marina which is eating
stuff off the floats of the floating docks. No one else has come in
to the marina since we got here Weds..

We plan to go back to our home marina tomorrow. Bob is worried about
the possibility of fog tomorrow because outside of the inlet there are
lots of crab pots. If there is wind there probably won't be fog, but
there might be rain.

We went up to eat dinner at the restaurant and this time the salads
were better. Bob had clam chowder and fried oysters with a baked
potato and cole slaw, and I had a ribeye with mashed potatoes. I
brought most of the ribeye home with me as I couldn't eat it all. It
was raining again when we finished, but it wasn't raining hard, so it
didn't matter much that we didn't have our rain gear.

Potomac Catfish Vic Smith General 32 August 15th 08 03:12 AM
Spectacular Day on the Potomac John H.[_4_] General 7 May 28th 08 03:57 PM
missing kayaker on the Potomac Jeepyak General 3 October 21st 04 07:05 PM