Default Lydia speaks...

Wilbur, Wilbur, Wilbur ....

It's obvious to me when I read your rantings that "Wilbur" is a
persona, and that makes me curious, and sad, too, how you gave birth
to this alter-ego, and worse, why? There was a time when I found that
you could bruise my feelings a bit, but that was a few thousand miles
ago, and since then, we've become a great deal more experienced and
confident with sailing, and you just don't get up my nose anymore. In
fact, you're entertaining, in a sad way. One of the things that has
amazed me over and over again is the kindness of fellow sailors and
cruisers. I have never, without exception in my 55 years, met so many
intelligent, warm, caring people. And better still, they're all
"outside the box", which considering our lifestyles, isn't too
surprising. You're the exception, Wilbur. You just smack of
tongue-in-cheek pokes at other people just for the pure thrill of
getting a rise out of your next victim. I'm actually amazed that some
of these guys do, actually, rise to the occasion and banter with you.
So silly. I thought about ripping you a new one, but it's just not
worth it. I'd be stooping to your level, then, and it is entirely
unnecessary for me to do that. Unlike you, I just don't need to.

Sailing/cruising is just one of those things, sort of like being a
good horsewoman, or golfer, or any other sport, where practice makes
perfect. Probably there's no such thing as "perfect" in the sailing
world, but there's a distinct learning curve, and we're accomplishing
that in a hands-on fashion. I really don't give a rip about people's
tongue clicking (I'm speaking of the people on the newsgroup who are
*real* sailors here) and I value their advice. I especially value
advice which is given in genuine friendship, as one caring human being
to another. Roger, Jere, Larry, Butch, Wayne, salty - fabulous guys
with secure egos who want only to share their experience for the
better of the group. I value them so much - more, I love the guys.
We are, after all, comrades in arms out here.

I'm sorry that you obviously aren't having as much fun in your life as
we are. Some of your rantings ring of an emotional gay man; - and
being gay is OK by me. We're not homophobic in any way. But I wish
you'd just come out of the closet. I honestly don't think you'd
receive anything but support from the group. Is Greg really your
roommate? That would make us all very happy for you. Why don't you,
in fact, just have the balls to tell us all about the real Wilbur,
like Skip has of himself. It would make such a pleasant change.

OK - this is from the horse's mouth on my feelings about our boat.
Some of the above-mentioned guys will attest, probably, to the fact
that I don't mince my words, and I'm an open book. So what you read,
is what I mean.

I was a single mom of four, with no child support for years and years,
and it wasn't always fun. I've wondered if the initial idea of living
aboard had anything to do with running away at last to live *my* life.
There were things I was really nervous about; Skip and I weren't
living together full time even after we were married because I was
still working in North Georgia, and he was in Florida, working on the
boat. To start living together full time on a boat seems daunting -
many marriages might fail under the circumstances. And yet I've
constantly surprised myself with what I anticipated might be "an
adjustment", and which turned out to be a very natural, comfortable
situation. There hasn't been one single regret since I left my job in
August '06 and moved to the boat in Florida, about our decision to do
this. I love our boat. I love the simplicity of the lifestyle. I
love not paying property taxes. I love having no debt. I love my
husband - nay, I adore my husband, who is the sweetest, most
thoughtful, caring partner, and hands down, the best lover in the
world. I know that sounds Pollyannaish - it would to anyone. You'd
just have to creep inside my heart and hear my daily prayers of Thanks
that I am, of all the people in the world, God's chosen one. He piled
up all the Blessings on me. I have no idea what I ever did in my life
to deserve that, but I'm thankful for it. There isn't a single thing
I would do to change it. I hope we'll be able to cruise until we die.
Simultaneous heart attacks after mind-blowing sex would be good.

Anyway, Wilbur, I realize I'm not the average woman - that's evident
by the sad lack of them out here. We see and know all these great
guys who are out there cruising, or trying to, and can't find a female
partner to share it all with. I feel really sorry for them - it's a
dream made real. It's a permanent vacation. It's heaven on earth. I
not only don't miss the land life, and all the bull**** that entails
just trying to keep up with the complications, but I have no desire to
And we have 6 grandchildren now, so we want to visit them until such
time as they're old enough to have "summer camps" with us. Aside from
that, there's nothing that draws us back. I personally don't know why
everyone doesn't choose this lifestyle, but it's a good thing they
don't. It'd get too crowded out here.

I would love it if you'd stop playing silly buggars in the group, and
just step on out here, buddy. I'm sure you'd find that you don't have
to be a vitriolic asshole to get the attention; we'll all love and
support you, as we do eachother. It's a much more pleasant
alternative, don't you think?

And Bob - you better watch it, too!!

Love, Lydia

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Yea Lydia!

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Yea Lydia!

Seconded.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-09-24 16:41:24 -0400, "Lydia" said:

I would love it if you'd stop playing silly buggars in the group, and
just step on out here, buddy. I'm sure you'd find that you don't have
to be a vitriolic asshole to get the attention; we'll all love and
support you, as we do each other. It's a much more pleasant
alternative, don't you think?

I think you got Wilbur's number, but it's obvious that he doesn't think
that way and won't be persuaded otherwise.

He's a contrarian, but a largely consistent one -- with some kernel of
truth in some of his posts. That's why I don't dismiss him out of hand.

You may be right that Wilbur is a persona, as every once in a while he
seems to forget who he is and lets slip a largely "spot on" post.

--
Jere Lull

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:41:24 -0400, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Simultaneous heart attacks after mind-blowing sex would be good.

Ych y fi!

Doug Speaks for All Capt. Rob ASA 8 September 30th 06 12:48 PM
OT-OT The president speaks Døn ßailey General 1 December 18th 03 03:18 PM