engsol

Default What are these boats?

Being close to retirement ( 8 days and counting ), I'm looking at every
boat review and boat ad I can get my hands on.

The below listed boats are unfamilar to me. Can anyone express an opinion as
to their suitability for coastal cruising? Blue water sailing? Construction?
A warning to not even consider them would be welcome also.
Thanks.....Norm B

42' Mapleleaf Center Cockpit Sloop
1971 Scampi
Palmer Johnson 34'
1976 Rafiki 37
1964 Spencer35'
Baba 35
27' Albin Vega
Peterson 35'
31 Vindo Sloop

Jim

Wow, what a list. Have you ever owned a boat before? If not, I'd like
to suggest you buy something like a 1965-75 Cal 25, learn to sail it,
hang out around the marina. Sometime next year, donate the thing to the
boy scouts (You might come out a bit ahead on the $).

Then see what's on your list.
Jim

engsol wrote:
Being close to retirement ( 8 days and counting ), I'm looking at every
boat review and boat ad I can get my hands on.

The below listed boats are unfamilar to me. Can anyone express an opinion as
to their suitability for coastal cruising? Blue water sailing? Construction?
A warning to not even consider them would be welcome also.
Thanks.....Norm B

42' Mapleleaf Center Cockpit Sloop
1971 Scampi
Palmer Johnson 34'
1976 Rafiki 37
1964 Spencer35'
Baba 35
27' Albin Vega
Peterson 35'
31 Vindo Sloop

engsol

Jim, Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've owned a boat before. I've sailed
Santanas, Hunters, Catalinas, J-Boats, and a Wauquiez Hood
(the Hood for just a week though.) ...the usual Ford/Chevy lineup.
My goal was to learn a bit about boats that I'm not familar with,
per the list.
Norm B

engsol wrote:
Being close to retirement ( 8 days and counting ), I'm looking at every
boat review and boat ad I can get my hands on.

The below listed boats are unfamilar to me. Can anyone express an opinion as
to their suitability for coastal cruising? Blue water sailing? Construction?
A warning to not even consider them would be welcome also.
Thanks.....Norm B

42' Mapleleaf Center Cockpit Sloop
1971 Scampi
Palmer Johnson 34'
1976 Rafiki 37
1964 Spencer35'
Baba 35
27' Albin Vega
Peterson 35'
31 Vindo Sloop

DSK

engsol wrote:
Being close to retirement ( 8 days and counting ), I'm looking at every
boat review and boat ad I can get my hands on.

The below listed boats are unfamilar to me. Can anyone express an opinion as
to their suitability for coastal cruising? Blue water sailing? Construction?
A warning to not even consider them would be welcome also.
Thanks.....Norm B

42' Mapleleaf Center Cockpit Sloop
1971 Scampi

A 30' early 1970s racing boat, designed by Peter Norlin and Scandanavian
built. By modern standards they aren't fast, but they are fun to sail
and well built. The cabin & deck is not conventional and they have a
slightly odd looking hard chine just above the waterline amidships.

Palmer Johnson 34'

Could be anything, PJ built racing & cruising boats from a variety of
designers. A lot of their boats were aluminum. They are regarded as a
very good quality builder.

1976 Rafiki 37
Baba 35

IIRC both heavy displacement double enders

1964 Spencer35'

PacNW built boat, cutaway full keel, at least one has circumnavigated

27' Albin Vega

Another relatively heavy boat (but this one with small cabin
accomadation) with a cutaway full keel and a transom hung rudder. These
boats are usually considered very seakindy for their size and Albin
sailboats (as opposed to Albin motorboats) are also Scandanavian built
and good quality.

Peterson 35'

Could be anything. Doug Peterson has designed America's Cup winners and
Taiwan leaky-teaky center cockpit floating condos. Most likely this is a
mid-1970s racing boat though.

31 Vindo Sloop

You must have a subconscious thing for Scandanavian boats. This is
another one, classic good looking boats with lots of varnish and curious
rolled-in gunwhales (which I happen to like, but it's a matter of taste).

Hope this helps

Doug King

engsol

Thanks very much Doug, This posting goes in my (ever growing) boat file.
I should have looked closed at hand re the 31 Vindo Sloop...it's listed in
Ferenc Mate's "The World's Best Sailboats", and a very beautiful boat
she is.
Norm B.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:13:38 -0400, DSK wrote:

engsol wrote:
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:07:33 +0000, engsol wrote:

Being close to retirement ( 8 days and counting ), I'm looking at every
boat review and boat ad I can get my hands on.

The below listed boats are unfamilar to me. Can anyone express an opinion as to
their suitability for coastal cruising? Blue water sailing? Construction? A
warning to not even consider them would be welcome also. Thanks.....Norm B

42' Mapleleaf Center Cockpit Sloop

Built in Vancouver, popular around here for liveaboard but also seems to sail
well. The bigger 48 is more popular:
http://yachthub.com/listings/image/4/4/440_0_2.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ywo=capeyacht&

Lloyd Sumpter