Default Leave - 3 weeks off!

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:18:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:27:00 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Bummer... but, the worst day sailing is better than the best day not
sailing... or so it's supposed to be anyway.

Bull****. Just ask Davey Jones. How about a few tens of thousands for
a new rig after a bad day in heavy weather? Next tell me a bad day
climbing rock or racing cars is better than staying home.

Casady

I should have added and survived. Why would you need a new rig after
sailing
in heavy weather? Unless you're talking about very dumb or very unlucky, I
stand by my original comment.

What part of bad day didn't you understand?

Casady

I said that a bad day sailing is better than the best day not sailing. What
part of sailing don't you understand?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:57:05 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Bummer... but, the worst day sailing is better than the best day not
sailing... or so it's supposed to be anyway.

Bull****. Just ask Davey Jones. How about a few tens of thousands for
a new rig after a bad day in heavy weather? Next tell me a bad day
climbing rock or racing cars is better than staying home.

Casady

I should have added and survived. Why would you need a new rig after
sailing
in heavy weather? Unless you're talking about very dumb or very unlucky, I
stand by my original comment.

What part of bad day didn't you understand?

Casady

I said that a bad day sailing is better than the best day not sailing. What
part of sailing don't you understand?

I understand. If it's bad you redefine sailing to exclude it. To bad
real life won' t cooperate.

Casady

On Oct 20, 10:18*am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I should have added and survived. Why would you need a new rig after sailing
in heavy weather? Unless you're talking about very dumb or very unlucky, I
stand by my original comment....

Please. While the great majority of days out sailing are very good
some suck. Just discounting days with fatalities doesn't get rid of
all the bummers. People can get broken, scared, sick or traumatized
and still survive. Serious property damage or damage to sea creatures
or structures can ruin a day. If you are careful and mostly daysail
bad days sailing will be few and far between, but it is just silly to
suggest they don't exist. I've survived a few that I'd have paid big
money not to experience.

PS.

Still here. Waiting for gale warning to go down at Conception and to
see if developing gale to the N is going to be an issue. Slim chance
we'll get out tomorrow but likely Wednesday. Plan is here to Santa
Barbara or there about...

--Tom.

wrote:

t...
wrote:

[...]

huh? I haven't redefined anything. Take the Satori, Perfect Storm fame. He
did just fine, and I'm betting it was a learning exprience. Sure Ray Leonard
was mightily inexperienced and was out of pocket, but he survived, no one
was seriously injured, and he's famous.

http://www.westsail.org/satori.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hey Tom... well, no need to rush out there... good to wait if necessary.

I never said that there wouldn't be bad days and that people don't die or
are injured. You don't often get that in an office environment. But, in
general, I'd rather be sailing and take my chances. Would you rather die of
a coronary sitting behind a desk, having just finished a donut or would you
rather die while sailing? I know which one you've obviously chosen, and I
can only hope to one day make the same choice.

I'm betting that despite your willingness to pay a large sum for a do-over,
you learned from the experiences.

wrote in message
[...]

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:57:58 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Hey Tom... well, no need to rush out there... good to wait if necessary.

I never said that there wouldn't be bad days and that people don't die or
are injured.

This is really funny. A seemingly innocent statement gets all
tortured out of shape.
I think the problem is taking "A bad day fishing..." and using it for
sailing.
Fishermen would have never argued about it.
Sailors are a contentious lot, and it looks like it won't work with
them.

--Vic

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
Hey Tom... well, no need to rush out there... good to wait if necessary.

I never said that there wouldn't be bad days and that people don't die or
are injured. You don't often get that in an office environment. But, in
general, I'd rather be sailing and take my chances. Would you rather die
of a coronary sitting behind a desk, having just finished a donut or would
you rather die while sailing? I know which one you've obviously chosen,
and I can only hope to one day make the same choice.

I'm betting that despite your willingness to pay a large sum for a
do-over, you learned from the experiences.

I would rather die sailing, having just finished a donut.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

huh? I haven't redefined anything. Take the Satori, Perfect Storm fame. He
did just fine, and I'm betting it was a learning exprience. Sure Ray
Leonard was mightily inexperienced and was out of pocket, but he survived,
no one was seriously injured, and he's famous.

http://www.westsail.org/satori.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

18,000 sea miles is "mightily inexperienced"?

Sheesh, that makes me a bleeding landlubber.

On Oct 20, 5:57*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Hey Tom... well, no need to rush out there... good to wait if necessary.

Thanks. We like it here, but the seasons are changing and if we stick
around much longer I'll have to lean how to speak Californian. I'm
terrible with languages.

...Would you rather die of
a coronary sitting behind a desk, having just finished a donut or would you
rather die while sailing? ...

I've got a choice? Can I skip the whole dying thing all together?

I'm betting that despite your willingness to pay a large sum
for a do-over, you learned from the experiences.

Yeah, but some lessons like nasty lightning storms are about as fun as
Russian roulette I'd be content to just read in a book.

I don't want to argue the point to hard. As bumper sticker philosophy
I like your saying. I'm just pointing out that it is more of a
guideline than a hard and fast truism...

Cheers,

--Tom.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

huh? I haven't redefined anything. Take the Satori, Perfect Storm fame.
He did just fine, and I'm betting it was a learning exprience. Sure Ray
Leonard was mightily inexperienced and was out of pocket, but he
survived, no one was seriously injured, and he's famous.

http://www.westsail.org/satori.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

18,000 sea miles is "mightily inexperienced"?

Sheesh, that makes me a bleeding landlubber.

Twas a typo... mightily experienced was what I was trying to type... I
apologize for the confusion. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

3 weeks in Penobscot Bay richard Cruising 12 May 22nd 07 11:13 PM
16 weeks at sea JLG Cruising 0 April 17th 06 03:23 PM
Only Two Weeks! Bobsprit ASA 3 December 2nd 03 01:55 AM
One of those weeks. Clams Canino General 3 November 14th 03 09:41 PM
No work for four weeks! Keith ASA 7 July 21st 03 01:54 AM