Capt Lou

Default State Police Claims They Can Board Without Probable Cause

Massachusetts State Police (known as the Environmental Police on the water)
claim they can board any vessel without probable cause because they have been
"deputized" as federal agents by U.S. Customs. Does anyone know anything about
this?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Matt Colie

Captain Lou,

I have a problem witht that (not that officers ever abuse or try to
extend authority - that is a given) because customs officers actually
have no jurisdiction "inside" the borders. Inside in quotes because
they can exercise juridiction over anything that has not yet offically
entered the country. As you have got to know, Yarmouth is a little over
two-hundred miles. So, unless they can show a record where you entered
Canada, they still have no jurisdiction.

Where I live now, we are Great Lakes border, so we are very tuned to
what all these people try to do. But a good number of our sailing
compatriots are lawyers, and they have no problem with legal authority.

Matt Colie ex-Mystic CT
Lifelong Waterman, Licnesed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Capt Lou wrote:
Massachusetts State Police (known as the Environmental Police on the water)
claim they can board any vessel without probable cause because they have been
"deputized" as federal agents by U.S. Customs. Does anyone know anything about
this?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Larry W4CSC

The various cop bureaucracies regularly board anything they like without
probable cause at any time and as often as they like in Charleston, SC, and
have been doing so way before 9-11 as far back as I can remember:

USCG boats full of young sailors with M-16's in hand....
SC Dept of Natural Resources game wardens dressed up like SWAT team
members in camo fatigues in camo aluminum boats to hide them for
the "surprise attack", endangering their lives and the lives of
every boater legally flying along who can't see them until they're
right on top of them....
Charleston City Police who have a fleet of boats manned by city cops
guarding no-wake zones from foreign intruders, dangers immense waves
caused by kids on jetskis weighing 200#, and families headed to the
beach.
Charleston County Police who do what the city does but in the
unincorporated parts of the county.
(same for every other little tax fiefdom bordering on the ICW)

It wasn't uncommon to be stopped and searched, in violation of the Fourth
Amendment, 2, 3 or more times on a Saturday to see if my fire extinguisher
pressure guage had changed or my bilge pump float switch had become
inoperative in the last couple of hours since my last illegal search and
fishing expedition. The fact that my unrequired flares expired several
YEARS from Saturday did not deter them from, once again, checking to see if
that date on the side had changed since my last boarding.

We board and inspect only small boats whos occupants cannot afford law
firms on retainer, here. Stopping some big lawyer's yacht whos uncle is a
State Senator probably wouldn't be a good idea, even if you can see the
bales of dope strapped to the deck of his Sport Fisherman. One must think
of ones job performance rating when one is trying to make cop sgt, you see.
Stopping three black guys in an 1959 runabout with an Evinrude Lark will
never get you fired for any reason. Sailing yachts aren't stopped, either.
Many of their owners have barbed hooks in the legislature, too.

Illegal search and seizure is alive and very well in South Carolina. Don't
forget your wallet full of IDs, boat registrations, insurance certification
that's not required and all those things in the manual for your
rowboat.....

Larry W4CSC

(Capt Lou) wrote in
:

Massachusetts State Police (known as the Environmental Police on the
water) claim they can board any vessel without probable cause because
they have been "deputized" as federal agents by U.S. Customs. Does
anyone know anything about this?

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain
Lou every Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the
web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your
radio dial to 95.9FM.

Vito

From what I read, our beloved emperor, best known as "the shrub", signed a
papal bull last February encouraging this misbehavior - but only if they
think you might go to Cuba. )c:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
The various cop bureaucracies regularly board anything they like without
probable cause .....

Jon

Larry, it sounds like you've got some experience setting up LAN
networks on sailboats. Are you available to do some work on my boat?
If you're interested or would like to know more, shoot me an email...

[...]

nospam

I read the other day that government (state and federal) was spending
in excess of $12,000.00 to protect each manatee (by their own manatee
census). The manatee police are probably unconstituionally boarding
and searching for evidence of interference with this protected species
as we speak. On the ICW I note that the only boaters I see racing
through "Manatee Zones" are the blue-light boys.

There is no limit to the abuse the American public will willingly
accept. If I forefathers were to learn of the abuse we tolerate from
the myriad of expanding "police entities" they would weep with shame
at the nation of sheep we have become.