D Wrate

Default Need Danforth compass part

For what its worth, my compass, an Aquameter was so crazed & faded that the
numbers etc were totally unreadable. The dome looked more like a cover in
fact. Being a cheap bugger I did a little research on polishing plastic. I
spent $20 on Novus Plastic polish , consumed 15 minutes of time and now the
compass is very useable. I put the $150 for a new compass back in the
wallet...

David

S/V Cindino

"Jon Klapper" wrote in message
Thanks for the quick responses. the compass is a Danforth 4-1/2"
Binnacle Mount Constellation series C483 (I think. Its old - I don't
know how old but it looks like the current model so it was probably
made in the 80's. The dome is crazed. Since its mounted on top of the
cockpit table in front of the wheel my assumption is it took a hit
from a martini shaker.

I'll call Danforth but if I can get a dome I can fix it myself.I don't
think they will sell me a dome by itself.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:25:33 GMT, (Jon
Klapper) wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone direct me to a source for Danforth parts? I am in need of a
5" lexan compass dome. I've already tried the manufacturer and some
internet suppliers - no luck. Email me at:

Thanks

Jon Klapper

Does anyone know what sort of fluid Danforth used in their Corsair
compass, circa 1980? I have one in great condition but it has a bubble.
I'd like to deal with it myself.

Does anyone know what sort of fluid Danforth used in their Corsair
compass, circa 1980? I have one in great condition but it has a bubble.
I'd like to deal with it myself.

Ken Heaton

There was a thread on this back in April 2003 under the subject line
*Compass liquid*
It seems the liquid is Stoddard Solvent which can be found in various
formulations under trade names such as Varisol. After reading the thread,
and then calling a local (Halifax) compass service company to double check,
we used a small amount of Varisol from the local Home Hardware to top up our
Danforth compass. Seemed to work, bubble is gone.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada