Default Dubarry Shamrocks

Hi
Anyone here own a pair of Dubarrys?
I'm considering buying some Shamrocks and was wondering just how accurate
Dubarry's sizing is.

Sometimes companies make things that say one size but they are "big for..."
or "small for..." what they say.

I think it is more common with clothes than footwear but I'm still a bit
curious.

Aside from that, are they good boots?

I have another OPB trip coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking of
spoiling myself with some booties to wear.

Hoges in WA

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
Hi
Anyone here own a pair of Dubarrys?
I'm considering buying some Shamrocks and was wondering just how accurate
Dubarry's sizing is.

Sometimes companies make things that say one size but they are "big
for..." or "small for..." what they say.

I think it is more common with clothes than footwear but I'm still a bit
curious.

Aside from that, are they good boots?

I have another OPB trip coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking of
spoiling myself with some booties to wear.

Hoges in WA

I've never owned a pair, but I did try on a pair at the last sailing show.
They had a booth. Very nice shoes, and as I recall the size I was interested
in fit as expected. They were too expensive for me, but the guy at the shoe
claimed they would outlast the cheapos.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
Hi
Anyone here own a pair of Dubarrys?
I'm considering buying some Shamrocks and was wondering just how accurate
Dubarry's sizing is.

Sometimes companies make things that say one size but they are "big
for..." or "small for..." what they say.

I think it is more common with clothes than footwear but I'm still a bit
curious.

Aside from that, are they good boots?

I have another OPB trip coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking of
spoiling myself with some booties to wear.

Hoges in WA

I own a pair of Dubarry's and consider them to be the best sailing boots on
the planet, (they should be at that price!)

Size-wise, mine are European size 43, equivalent to British 9's, (is that US
10's?). I would never buy expensive gear like this over the 'Net as it's a
pain having to return them if they don't fit. I found a local chandlerey who
almost matched the best Internet price I could find, and was able to try on
various pairs before purchasing.

Have had them for 3 years, and they are almost like new. I use the wax that
horsey people use on their "tack", cheaper than the Dubarry wax, and
probably just as good, if not better.

They are supremely comfortable, even worn ashore all day.

Dennis.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
Hi
Anyone here own a pair of Dubarrys?
I'm considering buying some Shamrocks and was wondering just how accurate
Dubarry's sizing is.

Sometimes companies make things that say one size but they are "big
for..." or "small for..." what they say.

I think it is more common with clothes than footwear but I'm still a bit
curious.

Aside from that, are they good boots?

I have another OPB trip coming up in a couple of weeks and was thinking
of spoiling myself with some booties to wear.

Hoges in WA

I've never owned a pair, but I

Yeah, we know. You've never owned a pair, but you will tell us everything
about them.

Maybe you used a pair in one of your drug-induced trances? That doesn't
count.

Why don't you stick to things that you know about?

Boats, politics and the real world aren't the best topics for you.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Dennis
I can't do the "match the price" thing. In Australia, the cheapest I can
get them is $499 or about $US440 plus I have to pay postage from the East
coast. I see them in Pineapple Sails for $US295. Like you, I am very
concerned about fit and return issues, the reason for my caution.
Hoges in WA

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 09:36:59 -0400, "Justin Case"
wrote:

I've never owned a pair, but I....

Yeah, we know. You've never owned a pair, but you will tell us everything
about them.

I wish these obnoxious glove-puppets would take a pill and go lie
down. They seem to have nothing to do with sailors and sailing, where
the rule is help where you can, and hope you don't need it in turn....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

wrote:

I've never owned a pair, but I....

Yeah, we know. You've never owned a pair, but you will tell us everything
about them.

I wish these obnoxious glove-puppets would take a pill and go lie
down. They seem to have nothing to do with sailors and sailing, where
the rule is help where you can, and hope you don't need it in turn....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

It's quite pathetic.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Hoges in WA" wrote in message
[...]

If you like, I can give Pineapple a call next week and see what they say
about the size marked vs. the actual size. Of course, there's not much
they'll be able to tell me about the fit for your foot, but something is
better than nothing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 14:42:19 GMT, "Hoges in WA"
wrote:

Thanks Dennis
I can't do the "match the price" thing. In Australia, the cheapest I can
get them is $499 or about $US440 plus I have to pay postage from the East
coast. I see them in Pineapple Sails for $US295. Like you, I am very
concerned about fit and return issues, the reason for my caution.
Hoges in WA

Personally, if I decided I wanted to spend such an excessive amount
for a pair of shoes, there would no problem kicking in a few hundred
dollars more to fly to a store and have them properly fitted.
You may well find them unsuitable.
In a backwards fashion, your concern about shipping costs make me
think of somebody who will scour eBay for weeks to get an item for
$2.00 instead of $3.00, then pop $35.00 for next-day shipping.
At the end, your feet are precious, and if it is only Dubarry
Shamrocks that will keep them happy, have those shoes properly fitted.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Vic
It's not the shipping costs that are the problem, it's the logistics.
I'm half a world away from where they are, in Western Australia.
And it's not an eBay issue thing either, it's simply that I have to source
things on-line.
An air fare for me to SF is something like $1,400.
I'm also curious about Helly Hansen boots, but I can't get them in Oz
either.
As you suggest, having them properly fitted makes a lot of sense - I'm just
having trouble with the price difference of $US440 to $US295.
Hoges in WA