Cheshire

Default ICW mustache

Some time ago, I read here that lemon juice would remove the ICW stains, and
it does work. However, I wonder if it leaves the wax on the boat. Anyone
know? Any other, better methods?

Thanks.

Doug Dotson

Use a product called On & Off. That's what the marina here uses
and it works great. Don't know if it strips the wax but is is pretty
powerful stuff. I believe it contains Muriatic Acid among other things.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Cheshire" wrote in message
Some time ago, I read here that lemon juice would remove the ICW stains,

and
it does work. However, I wonder if it leaves the wax on the boat. Anyone
know? Any other, better methods?

Thanks.

Scott Vernon

Muriatic & Oxcylic acid IIRC. Works great. Dock hand let me use some of his
last week. I'm pretty sure it takes the wax off.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Cheshire" wrote in message
Some time ago, I read here that lemon juice would remove the ICW stains,

and
it does work. However, I wonder if it leaves the wax on the boat. Anyone
know? Any other, better methods?

Thanks.

Phil

Use "Sno-Bol". toilet cleaner. It works great and a lot less money than the
boat store products. The moustache just washes right off after. It works
like "On-Off" and makes streaks though bottom paint if your not carefull.
Phil
"Cheshire" wrote in message
Some time ago, I read here that lemon juice would remove the ICW stains,

and
it does work. However, I wonder if it leaves the wax on the boat. Anyone
know? Any other, better methods?

Thanks.

Rich Hampel

The ICW 'moustache' is mostly tannin and iron stains. Best removed
with a solution of oxalic acid (wood bleach). If you seal the
gelcoat with a good coat of wax then you wont get a moustache. If you
have a moustache it means you need to bleach and then wax the gelcoat.
Acid grade toilet cleaners will do the same thing - dissolve the iron
and tannins. Oxalic is cheaper.

n article , Phil

"Cheshire" wrote in message
Some time ago, I read here that lemon juice would remove the ICW stains,

and
it does work. However, I wonder if it leaves the wax on the boat. Anyone
know? Any other, better methods?

Thanks.

Cheshire

To all who replied -

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I had the hull waxed before leaving,
and it stained anyway. Maybe the wax needs to be applied heavier ?? Also,
whatever I use to remove the stain, I don't want it to cut through the was.
I wonder if oxalic acid, On-Off, lemon juice or the toilet bowl cleaner
would leave the wax or take it off ?

GC