Cheshire

Default ICW mustache

To all who replied -

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I had the hull waxed before leaving,
and it stained anyway. Maybe the wax needs to be applied heavier ?? Also,
whatever I use to remove the stain, I don't want it to cut through the was.
I wonder if oxalic acid, On-Off, lemon juice or the toilet bowl cleaner
would leave the wax or take it off ?

GC

Rich Hampel

If you have a moustache, the wax is long gone.
Dont just wipe-on/wipe-off the wax when applying. Use a wet pad to
apply and 'push' the wax INTO the gelcoat by rubbing in small circles,
then reapply then reapply until you can see at a low incidence angle to
the hull that the wax has completely saturated the gelcoat. .....
"burnishing" the wax as you apply. When looking at a low incidence
angle (almost parallel to the surface), if the surface looks 'spotty',
then you havent 'pushed' enough wax INTO the gelcoat to make a seal.
Now that Collinite "Fleetwax" is available in liquid form, my
application times are much less than with paste wax. Collinite seems to
last much longer than the 'others' for some reason.

In article sxRec.403$ec1.160@okepread01, Cheshire
wrote:

To all who replied -

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I had the hull waxed before leaving,
and it stained anyway. Maybe the wax needs to be applied heavier ?? Also,
whatever I use to remove the stain, I don't want it to cut through the was.
I wonder if oxalic acid, On-Off, lemon juice or the toilet bowl cleaner
would leave the wax or take it off ?

GC

Chuck Baier

GC the only boats I have seen that won't get the beard are new boats
with brand new gel-coat and awl-grip hulls. I haven't seen a wax yet
that will prevent it if you run the ICW for any distance. A product
sold at Home Depot called RustAid is great for removing it and minimal
intrusion to the paint or gel-coat. Works great for other things like
rust streaks from hardware. It doesn't strip off the sealer for Awl
but I don't know about wax.

"Cheshire" wrote in message news:sxRec.403$ec1.160@okepread01...
To all who replied -

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I had the hull waxed before leaving,
and it stained anyway. Maybe the wax needs to be applied heavier ?? Also,
whatever I use to remove the stain, I don't want it to cut through the was.
I wonder if oxalic acid, On-Off, lemon juice or the toilet bowl cleaner
would leave the wax or take it off ?

GC

Florida Keyz

Be proud of that mustach, you earned it.!
Florida Keyz

Be proud of that mustach, you earned it.!
Keith

If you have that moustache, you probably don't have much wax anyway, or it
was put on over a porous surface that needed compounding first.

The best wax I've ever seen is Collinite's fleetwax paste. Lasts longer than
anything else I've ever tried, and Powerboat Reports agreed when they tested
a bunch of waxes.

Pretty much anything that's going to take off that stain will take off the
wax with it, if there was any left to begin with.

--

Keith
__