Default out of zinc

According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I have been reading that more boaters are turning to aluminum anodes. While
more noble than zinc, they are still far more reactive than steel or bronze.
I must admit though, I have not had the nerve to try them yet on my Nic 35

Dennis
SV Dark Lady
CN35-207
easolutions...

"Dennis Gibbons" wrote in message
I have been reading that more boaters are turning to aluminum anodes.
While more noble than zinc, they are still far more reactive than steel or
bronze. I must admit though, I have not had the nerve to try them yet on my
Nic 35

Dennis
SV Dark Lady
CN35-207
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc
by about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

I wonder what people with aluminum boat will do?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default out of zinc NOT

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

The typical Jon Boy lie. The following is from:
http://www.infiniteinjury.org/blog/2...s-of-scarcity/

"The idea that the Indium on Earth is just going to be used up in 2017,
Terbium in 2012 and Zinc in 2037 is just absurd from both a geological and
economic point of view. As an economic matter the market won't simply let us
keep increasing our consumption until we suddenly run out. Rather, when
demand increases relative to supply the price rises and decreases
consumption. If companies really believed zinc was going to simply run out
in 2037 do you think they would be selling it cheaply enough to make it cost
effective to make pennies with it or use it in many other trivial ways?
There isn't any great crisis ahead, merely a rise in price for these metals
that will cause other metals to be substituted where possible and wasteful
uses to be eliminated (eliminate the damn penny!) while essential uses (LCD
displays, CPUs) continue."

I hope this helps explode the myth.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:45:36 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

After we've sacrificed all the zincs will we have to switch back to
virgins?

Seems like a waste.

wrote:

According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

After we've sacrificed all the zincs will we have to switch back to
virgins?

Seems like a waste.

Arrrrrggggg....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

said:

According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

Is that the same crew that said the world would run out of oil by 2010?

Don't know... did someone say that? Do you think it'll happen?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I just KNEW my kid's Hot Wheels collection would be worth something some
day. :-) Maybe I should pull all that pot metal kitch out of the yard
sale.

Seriously, if the price of zinc rises to much there will be zinc castings,
broken souvenir beer mugs and old kitchen utensils appearing out of the wood
work. There is an amazing amount of zinc sitting in peoples' closets and
junk boxes.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
According to the New Scientist magazine, we're going to run out of zinc by
about 2037.

What's the next best sacrificial metal... magnesium? LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:49:24 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

I just KNEW my kid's Hot Wheels collection would be worth something some
day. :-) Maybe I should pull all that pot metal kitch out of the yard
sale.

Seriously, if the price of zinc rises to much there will be zinc castings,
broken souvenir beer mugs and old kitchen utensils appearing out of the wood
work. There is an amazing amount of zinc sitting in peoples' closets and
junk boxes.

Save your pennies. They're almost all zinc. The older, copper
pennies (before 1982, 95% copper, 5% zinc) are worth 2.2 cents now in
copper. A nickle is worth 5.1 cents in the metal value (75% copper,
25% nickle). But a current penny (97.5% zinc, 5% copper) is worth
only 1/2 a penny in metal value. That should go up if we really start
running out of zinc.

For a list of US coin's melt value vs. purchasing power see:

http://www.coinflation.com/

Steve

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, unfortunately, it's big time illegal to melt down pennies. I think
there's some guy who's hording them in the hope that'll change (no pun
intended).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com