Peggie Hall

Default Looking for zinc

A friend has an antique bathtub...the drain fittings are zinc....as is
the ring around the drain fitting, but it's in bad shape. He could
replace it with copper, but would like to restore it to original, but
can't find a source for a thin sheet (1/64"? 1/32"?) of zinc about 5" x
5". Can anyone here help?

Thanks!

--
Peggie
----------

DSK

Peggie Hall wrote:
A friend has an antique bathtub...the drain fittings are zinc....as is
the ring around the drain fitting, but it's in bad shape. He could
replace it with copper, but would like to restore it to original, but
can't find a source for a thin sheet (1/64"? 1/32"?) of zinc about 5" x
5". Can anyone here help?

Is there enough of the original that he could take it to a plating shop,
and have them build it back up? I've done this with a couple of odd
fittings. Works like a champ... if there's enough of the original left...

Fair Skies- Doug King

Peggie Hall

Nope, it's too far gone...he needs a whole piece about 5" x 5".

It's an interesting house...on the National Historic register, built
around 1820...16' ceilings etc. If anyone can point me to a source, I
know he'd appreciate it very much.

Peggie

DSK wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

A friend has an antique bathtub...the drain fittings are zinc....as is
the ring around the drain fitting, but it's in bad shape. He could
replace it with copper, but would like to restore it to original, but
can't find a source for a thin sheet (1/64"? 1/32"?) of zinc about 5"
x 5". Can anyone here help?

Is there enough of the original that he could take it to a plating shop,
and have them build it back up? I've done this with a couple of odd
fittings. Works like a champ... if there's enough of the original left...

Fair Skies- Doug King

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Keith

There's a place in Houston called Great Western Metals. They have just about
everything. Also, you might try searching the Thomas Register for Zinc Sheet
or something similar: http://www.thomasregister.com There were 22 companies
listed.

--

Keith
__

DSK wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

[...]

Peggie Hall

Keith wrote:
There's a place in Houston called Great Western Metals. They have just about
everything. Also, you might try searching the Thomas Register for Zinc Sheet
or something similar: http://www.thomasregister.com There were 22 companies
listed.

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure this was the right group to ask.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_rid_of_boat_odors.htm

Michael Neverdosky

Peggie Hall wrote:

Keith wrote:
There's a place in Houston called Great Western Metals. They have just about
everything. Also, you might try searching the Thomas Register for Zinc Sheet
or something similar: http://www.thomasregister.com There were 22 companies
listed.

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure this was the right group to ask.

He could also make his own by melting some zincs and pouring into a
form.
Real pipe organs are made this way. The alloy is mixed and tested for
specific gravity. Then a large sheet is poured and the sheet is rolled
into a pipe.

Sounds like quite a project.

michael
Steve

I think someone else has given you a good source. But the in my area the
roofing companies use sheet zinc anodes on the composition shingled roofs to
discourage moss from growing.. You may not find it in you area if roof moss
is not a problem however.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Paul Oman

DSK wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:
A friend has an antique bathtub...the drain fittings are zinc....as is
the ring around the drain fitting, but it's in bad shape. He could
replace it with copper, but would like to restore it to original, but
can't find a source for a thin sheet (1/64"? 1/32"?) of zinc about 5" x
5". Can anyone here help?

Is there enough of the original that he could take it to a plating shop,
and have them build it back up? I've done this with a couple of odd
fittings. Works like a champ... if there's enough of the original left...

Fair Skies- Doug King

I have a source for moisture cured urethane zinc primer. Really the MCU
coating and a pail of zinc powder. Could make with something else and coat
with the zinc primer (or toss the MCU and mix the zinc with epoxy and coat)

paul