Default Sevylor Tender Runabout?

Has anyone actually used one of these Sevylor Tenders? Can it be
rowed?

http://www.sevylor.com/dyn_prod.php?....x=68&view.y=8

I'm looking for a tender I can use on my 24' sailboat for mostly
sheltered waters.

Thanks

friend wrote in news:cbd04cdf-26cd-4c3f-abfc-
:

I'm looking for a tender I can use on my 24' sailboat for mostly
sheltered waters.

That'll work. Trail it behind you but don't back over it. Deflating and
stowing one just sucks.

But, there IS a great alternative:
http://www.porta-bote.com/versus.html
Comes right apart and folds flat. Got 3" of width against the lifeline up
forward? That's what you do with the folded up hull. Just tie it to the
rail and use it as a sprayrail...(c;

Assembly and disassembly is real easy on a sailboat, too! Tie one of the
halyards from up the mast to the bow. Use your winch to winch the
portabote vertically up the mast until the stern is at a convenient, non-
stooping over, height. Take out the seats and fold 'er up for storage in
about 2 minutes. Pay out the line while #2 lines the stern up against the
rail and tie it down fore/aft to hold it vertically in place against the
rail so it uses no deck space at all. Just reverse order to assemble, then
pay out the line from up the mast while #2 pushes the stern over the rail
to launch perpendicular to the sailboat. Your boom and a preventer make a
great sea painter to hold it away from the gelcoat when it's in the water
and you're aboard at anchor.

Unlike the blowup boat....the ride is DRY and STABLE so the groceries don't
arrive WET, like the passengers. Portabote is also a great little cruising
around at anchorage and fishing bote to go exploring in. Even has beer
holders built into the seats...(c;

On 2008-08-13 20:29:00 -0400, friend said:

Has anyone actually used one of these Sevylor Tenders? Can it be
rowed?

http://www.sevylor.com/dyn_prod.php?....x=68&view.y=8

I'm looking for a tender I can use on my 24' sailboat for mostly
sheltered waters.

No inflatable can really be rowed far, but if you're only rowing out to
the mooring their cheaper "kayak" will serve better.

I happen to be a proud owner of their Tahiti model that's served us
over a decade.

If we want to GET some place, rowed or powered, we'd choose our PortaBote.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-08-13 20:29:00 -0400, friend said:

Has anyone actually used one of these Sevylor Tenders? Can it be
rowed?

I towed a "fishhunter" 10' from the GL to FLA and back to Charleston.
It worked fine with a few flips and twists in Pamlico Sound. If you
get one really cheap they're OK.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:02:06 -0700 (PDT), fred1995
wrote:

I've heard very bad things about the hinges on these.

I know a lot of people with porta-botes, and all feel they are more or
less indestructable. I have no idea what you "heard", but I tend to
discount it based on what everyone who has one, knows about them. They
have a service lifespan that is expressed in terms of a "half-life".
I've been abusing mine for many years, and fully expect that it will
be part of my son's inheritance.

On 2008-08-14 06:33:21 -0400, said:

I know a lot of people with porta-botes, and all feel they are more or
less indestructable. I have no idea what you "heard", but I tend to
discount it based on what everyone who has one, knows about them. They
have a service lifespan that is expressed in terms of a "half-life".
I've been abusing mine for many years, and fully expect that it will
be part of my son's inheritance.

Thanks for the chuckles.

One of the fun things in the Tanzer list is to watch how many boats are
passed down to the kids or grandkids. Simple, fun, tough, and
long-lived. At 16 seasons, we're about mid-pack as far as longevity
goes amongst T28 sailors. And we consider ourselves caretakers, not
owners.

Portabotes are quite a bit younger, but I'm getting indications that
they're engendering the same sort of loyalty due to their demonstrated
capabilities. Similar to the Tanzer group, we point out obvious
shortcomings, but we fix them and go on.

There are 30+ year old Porta-Botes out there still working hard and
looking good.

We just used ours on a little mini-cruise this weekend. We explored
the many side inlets of the Mattituck Inlet. When we saw any place we
wanted to look at closer, we just dragged it up on the rocks, broken
ship pieces, rustry spikes, and broken glass. Try that with an
inflatable!