Livetocruise

Default sevylor raft

Hi to all: We have a 30 ft travel trailer that we do a lot of camping
with. Several of the campgrounds that we go to have lakes within easy
commute distance. My children ages 16 down to 13 have been pestering
me to buy a boat to have fun with. Needless to say, I need something
that I can either put inside of my trailer, or on top of the tow
vehicle.

A couple of camp trips ago, I bought a inflatable 11 ft sevylor super
caravelle raft. I thought that would be the answer to their nagging
me for a boat, but they quickly got tired of the rowing. I bought the
transom mount for outboard motor and bought a 50 lb thrust trolling
motor. They have fun with that arrangement, but are looking for
something faster, with more staying time on the water without having
to come ashore to charge the battery.

I noticed that the caravelle will take up to a 3.5 hp outboard
motor,and I have a couple of questions about this type of motor.

(1) Will this motor propel the raft much faster than the trolling
motor.

(2) Will I be asking for trouble if I mount a 4hp 2cycle outboard on
the raft. It is only .5 hp more than the max hp outboard posted on
the raft.( do they have a fudge factor when they recommend max power
outboards for the raft).

(3) I plan to install a plywood flooring to make the bottom more
rigid. Do you think that the 3.5, or 4.0 hp outboard would have
enought power to get the raft on plane w/ 1 person aboard.

(4) The local G.I. Joes where I bought the raft have a 3.5 hp Nissian
outboard for sale for 695.00. Is this motor any good, or is there a
better motor for my intended use.

Any help would be apprieiated.
Chris Neville