BoatBanter.com

-   -   Coast Guard Inspections (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9678-coast-guard-inspections.html)

Paul Revere April 19th 04 07:14 AM

Coast Guard Inspections

In article , To wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:47:16 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I do not believe I am a criminal either but apparently Mr. Ashcroft
feels that someone with my name may be. Even though I am a Delta
Medalion flyer, over the past 6 months I have been pulled out of line by
airport security for "special" search four times. Once accompanied by
two policemen. A ticket agent finally told me that my name is on the
National "No-Fly" list and that I should expect to be watched and
subjected to additional searches any time I fly.

You might want to check the vote on the Patriot Act.

For some odd reason, many people think that John Ashcroft made it up.

Its true.

A majority of Senators and Congressmen from both parties voted for the
Patriot Act, however many of these same people now claim Ashcroft is employing
his new power in ways they never anticipated or intended.

This is what is behind the move to reject renewal of the Act or to at least
amend it.

Bruce in Alaska April 19th 04 06:31 PM

Coast Guard Inspections

In article ,
"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote:

Bruce,
I believe the U.S. Customs can also board without probable cause. I
understand that if you have a trailer boat they can follow you home and then
search the home. Customs has a lot of power.
Paul

Not sure about Customs, if you didn't leave US Waters. I suspect that
if you "cleared customs" that they then would need a Warrent for any
further inspection. If you didn't leave US Waters then they would
need "Cause" to board you, I think.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Capt Lou April 20th 04 02:09 PM

Coast Guard Inspections

I have been told that U.S. Customs agents and the U.S. Coast Guard can board
any American flagged vessel or any vessel in U.S. waters without probable
cause. The (Massachusetts) state police (and even some harbormasters) claim
they too can board any vessel without probable cause because they are
"deputized" by U.S. Customs.

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Rod McInnis April 20th 04 04:53 PM

Coast Guard Inspections

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
Not sure about Customs, if you didn't leave US Waters. I suspect that
if you "cleared customs" that they then would need a Warrent for any
further inspection. If you didn't leave US Waters then they would
need "Cause" to board you, I think.

Not true.

The US Coast Guard can board any boat any time for whatever reason they wish
to. I have been stopped and boarded inside the San Francisco bay, and my
boat (power) does not have the range to make it outside of US waters.

In my case, they just came aboard, checked my registration papers and peeked
into the cabin. Very polite and courteous and I was on my way again in just
a few minutes.

Rod

Bruce in Alaska April 20th 04 06:45 PM

Coast Guard Inspections

In article ,
"Rod McInnis" wrote:

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
Not sure about Customs, if you didn't leave US Waters. I suspect that
if you "cleared customs" that they then would need a Warrent for any
further inspection. If you didn't leave US Waters then they would
need "Cause" to board you, I think.

Not true.

The US Coast Guard can board any boat any time for whatever reason they wish
to. I have been stopped and boarded inside the San Francisco bay, and my
boat (power) does not have the range to make it outside of US waters.

In my case, they just came aboard, checked my registration papers and peeked
into the cabin. Very polite and courteous and I was on my way again in just
a few minutes.

Rod

I was speaking about US Customs Officers in the above, not USCG personel.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Bruce in Alaska April 20th 04 06:58 PM

Coast Guard Inspections

In article ,
(Capt Lou) wrote:

The (Massachusetts) state police (and even some harbormasters) claim
they too can board any vessel without probable cause because they are
"deputized" by U.S. Customs.

All kinds of LEO's CLAIM that they can do this and that, but the LAW
is very clear on these points. US Flagged Vessels can only be boarded
against the skippers wishes by USCG and US Marshals. The point can
be debated, at the point of a gun, but in Court, after you spent your
jailtime waiting for trial, the LAW will prevail. Most LEO's understand
this, and get a USCG Officer/Noncom to accompany any boarding, or get
one of the local US Marshals to go along. When I was a FED, (FCC)
this was SOP for us when we were refused boarding. I remeber an incident
down in Grays Harbor, WA, where one of my fellow Agents wanted to inspect
a local charterboat, and the skipper refused to allow him to board. He
went down to the local USCG Lifeboat Detachment, and got the CPO, to
mount a Boarding Party with M60's and Tompson's and returned to the
charterboat, boarded and found 50Kg of dope stuffed under a bunk.
Our guy busted him for an expired SOLAS Certificate, but the USCG
took the boat and the guy got 20 Years in the Federal Slam for Drug
Running.

Bruce in alaska who recognizes that LEO's LIE all the time about
what they can do.........
--
add a 2 before @