Barry Morrison

Default Atomic 4 on the ICW

Has anyone gone the length of the ICW with an Atomic 4 as their engine? Were
there any problems? What was the state of the motor like at the end of the
trip?

Many thanks.

Barry Morrison
Nightmoves

Steve

"Barry Morrison" wrote in message
there any problems? What was the state of the motor like at the end of the
trip?

I haven't had any direct experience with the Atomic 4 but know that it has a
very good reputation as a gasoline engine in sail boats.

I think the intial question would be "what IS the condition of the motor at
the beginning".

If it is in good reliable condition at the beginning there shouldn't be any
reason to doubt it's ability to run for the number of hours to complete the
transit.

Remember it is not the operating hours the kill boat engines. It is the idle
and neglected hours where they suffer most.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rich Hampel

Rarely do Atomic-4 engines wear out; they just corrode away.
The condition of the A4 before the trip is definitely the key of how
well it will be at the end of the trip.

Go to www.moyermarine.com and get Don Moyer's (worlds A4 guru)
"Maintenance and Repair Manual". The ~$50 cost will be the best
investment you can make in an A4. Most 'mechanics' nowadays no longer
'know' this engine. You can use the manual yourself and learn the 'ins
& outs' of the engine; or, 'loan' it to your mechanic when he works on
it - either way will result in heightened savings and prolonged life of
the engine.

Hope this helps

Kevin

"Barry Morrison" wrote in message ...
Has anyone gone the length of the ICW with an Atomic 4 as their engine? Were
there any problems? What was the state of the motor like at the end of the
trip?

Many thanks.

Barry Morrison
Nightmoves

Barry,

We travelled last year from Toronto to Cuba and back ( Erie Canal,
Hudson River, ICW most of the way down and back) with an atomic 4 in
excellent condition prior to leaving. Total engine hours were approx
850 for that trip. We had to replace the water pump and electric fuel
pump, in the Chesepeake. Otherwise the engine was completely trouble
free. We will need an overhaul this year however.

The only real concern for us was the excessive fuel cost relative to
diesel!

Cheers,
Kevin

Rich Hampel

The only real concern for us was the excessive fuel cost relative to
diesel!

Most A4 configurations are found with props that have too great a pitch
and diameter. A perfect match prop (pitch and dia.) plus the
installation of an adjustable carburator main jet will make these old
engine very efficient 'fuel-wise'.

JAXAshby

A perfect match prop (pitch and dia.) plus the
installation of an adjustable carburator main jet will make these old
engine very efficient 'fuel-wise'.

I found my A/4 going down the ICW was using about 1/2 gallon/hour, though I
wasn't pushing the boat speed. The only problem I had was that aftermarket
fresh water cooling pump. I eventually took it out of the loop and used the
engine raw water cooled just fine.

atomic 4 martin v pool General 54 July 11th 04 02:51 AM
(OT) Gotta be more interesting than the anti-OT thread {The EmpireBackfires } Jim General 0 March 14th 04 07:16 PM
Tachometer for an Atomic Four Lawrence Radcliffe Cruising 6 November 21st 03 05:32 PM