DSK

Default Wilmington-New Bern Trip Report - Was NC Charts Wilmington toNew Bern

Rick Itenson wrote:
What's the latest on Lockwood's Folly. Heading up that way soon and
Corps of Engineers says there's only five feet there.

We went through last week at low tide, and it was about 5 1/2'

Go on a higher tide, keep to landward (as Muskrat said) and watch the
current. The tide fall is not a lot, but this lulls many people into a
false sense of security... the current is swift and it will pull you out
of the channel if you let it.

... Also would
appreciate info on New River area,apparently shopaled up there too.

Yes IMHO this is worse than Lockwood's Folly. There's a bigger area to
guess where the channel is. We bumped something (a log?) underwater
nearer the red-bouy side on the north/east side of the inlet. On the way
back we kept more toward the green and were all right.

... I
need six feet.. Are there many boats going north through Lockwood's
Folly or are most of them going outside.

There was a LOT of traffic going inside last week.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

muskrat

Hey, Captain Bryan,

Glad to hear your little shakedown cruise went well, especially since
you don't even mention that the weather was a tad chilly as well as
windy.

And you did well with only running aground three times, although I'm
assuming you were able to run the outside from Wrightsville to
Beaufort - no mention of other bridge issues.

Anyhow, I'm moored in Sneads Ferry and know every creek and channel
from Myrtle Beach to Cape Lookout, including New River and Bogue
inlets, where "local knowledge" means ten minutes ago. So let me know
if you need if you need any advice.

Will escape from work mid-May and hope to spend as much time with
local cruising as possible and maybe catch a few fish offshore. Maybe
I'll see you out at lookout around July Fourth.

Good sailing.

muskrat