Default Ferro Cement boats

He hit a rock at about 7 knots and knocked a hole in the bottom. Said

That does concern me -- as we hit a container about 40 miles off california
scared the **it out of us... we took on water; but the pumps were able to keep
up until we could make it to shore.... (good tag line I saw: "There is no
better bilge pump that a scared sailor with a bucket")

The boat has a very low resale value. In his case he is 78 years old
and doesn't care, but you might.

I've never owned a boat that I sold for more than I bought it for -- I don't
look at it as an investment...

If the boat has integral fuel tanks it is possible for the diesel to
soak through the hull. Have seen a couple of boats with that problem.

Good tip - -I'll be sure to look at the tank the enxt time I go out with the
surveyor. I'm sure he'll check that too.

As regards to "sailing off". I would suggest that unless you have
"sailed off" before you do not sell the house for the first couple of
years - rent it. A large number of people lose enthusiasm for the
boating life style after a couple of years.

I've been around boats all my life; been sailing in the ocean @ 14. (single
handed)

We just cannot afford to keep the house with only me working.. (I can work from
anywhere)

Remember also that you may have a difficult time documenting the vessel if
you can't get in touch with the builder(s). This may be important for
foreign voyages. Glass boats have records, hull numbers, etc. Be sure to
check this out as well.

If you send me some photos and info privately, I'll be glad to give you my
opinion.

Contact info he http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma

--
Roger Long

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:37:27 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Strong as wood, light as steel."

You are being unfair to steel. For openers, it has the same strength
to weight as aluminum which is often regarded as being lighter. If
strength is not really the issue and stiffness is, everything is
bulkier, which automatically means stiffer, than steel, for the same
strength. Steel is not heavy in a large enough vessel. I figure 1/8 or
inch plating and forty feet of length. Rather have aluminum, actually.
A forty foot powerboat, 1/4 inch thick. You want cleats to be as big
as possible, so that sharp corners don't abuse the line. This makes
aluminum more attractive than steel.

Casady

Thank you. 30 years designing metal boats and I guess I missed that tidbit
of information somewhere along the line

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:16:07 -0400, "Roger Long" wrote:

Remember also that you may have a difficult time documenting the vessel if
you can't get in touch with the builder(s). This may be important for
foreign voyages. Glass boats have records, hull numbers, etc. Be sure to
check this out as well.

GREAT ADVISE !!! Yes; this will be important.

Thank you
-josh

On Jul 20, 4:09*pm, Josh Assing wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:16:07 -0400, "Roger Long" wrote:
Remember also that you may have a difficult time documenting the vessel if
you can't get in touch with the builder(s). *This may be important for
foreign voyages. *Glass boats have records, hull numbers, etc. *Be sure to
check this out as well.

GREAT ADVISE !!! Yes; this will be important.

Thank you
-josh

I'm not sure I'd panic about the US Documentation. A lot of US boats
get by with state registrations on foreign voyages. The US doc is
nice because they'll mail you a renewal any time you ask so you can re-
up when you're in port, but AFIK, you can check in anywhere with the
state rego.

-- Tom.

wrote:
Remember also that you may have a difficult time documenting the vessel
if
you can't get in touch with the builder(s). This may be important for
foreign voyages. Glass boats have records, hull numbers, etc. Be sure to
check this out as well.

GREAT ADVISE !!! Yes; this will be important.

Thank you
-josh

I'm not sure I'd panic about the US Documentation. A lot of US boats
get by with state registrations on foreign voyages. The US doc is
nice because they'll mail you a renewal any time you ask so you can re-
up when you're in port, but AFIK, you can check in anywhere with the
state rego.

-- Tom.

You can get a waiver for a foreign made vessel for US Documentation. Last I
checked it was a one-time $500 fee.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:12:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 20, 4:09*pm, Josh Assing wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:16:07 -0400, "Roger Long" wrote:
Remember also that you may have a difficult time documenting the vessel if
you can't get in touch with the builder(s). *This may be important for
foreign voyages. *Glass boats have records, hull numbers, etc. *Be sure to
check this out as well.

GREAT ADVISE !!! Yes; this will be important.

Thank you
-josh

I'm not sure I'd panic about the US Documentation. A lot of US boats
get by with state registrations on foreign voyages. The US doc is
nice because they'll mail you a renewal any time you ask so you can re-
up when you're in port, but AFIK, you can check in anywhere with the
state rego.

-- Tom.

In Asia state registration papers are accepted in Thailand, Malaysia,
Singapore, East Malaysia, Brunai and the Philippines to my personal
knowledge.
Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Jul 20, 8:30*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
You can get a waiver for a foreign made vessel for US Documentation. Last I
checked it was a one-time $500 fee.

I had no problem getting my foreign built vessel Documented for non-
commercial use. I've forgotten what the fees were but I don't
remember any special ones for being overseas. Perhaps you are
thinking of a fee so that a foreign built boat can be used for "six-
pack" work or something.

-- Tom.

Ferro-Cement Iain General 4 January 20th 07 05:35 PM
Ferro Cement Boat Restoration Thomas D. Ireland General 18 August 3rd 05 06:47 AM
Ferro Cement Boat Restoration Thomas D. Ireland Tall Ships 2 August 1st 05 08:26 PM
FS: 33' ferro-cement sailboat $8000 in Texas Paul Guajardo Marketplace 0 July 27th 05 07:44 PM
ferro cement boats Caribmon Boat Building 0 July 6th 03 01:56 PM