Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default VHF DSC Radio Check

I just installed a Standard Horizon HX850S handheld VHF radio (with GPS) as
a backup for our 25 watt fixed VHF. I checked out the VHF transmit and
receive function with a couple of radio check calls to local boaters and
reception was 5 by 5. (Actually the reception was better than that on my
fixed VHF).

Additionally, I wanted to check the DSC functionality of the radio by
placing a ROUTINE call to the local Coast Guard's MMSI number. However,
after transmitting the signal, there was no "acknowledgement" for 5 minutes
and I then cancelled the call. Tried it again later with a routine
transmission to the "Rescue 21" MMSI number - again no acknowledgement.

I was transmitting on the HI setting (6 watts) and was in sight of the local
CG building - so the transmission "should have" triggered the automatic
response. The HX850S is brand new out of a sealed box so I doubt it is
defective... but one never knows.

I really would like to be sure that I can rely on the unit for a distress
call - but of course I won't know that until I am in an distress situation
and push "the red button"!

Any ideas or suggestions on how to check the DSC funtionality?

Radio Check! Radio Check! HK General 46 October 10th 07 01:17 AM
radio check with VHF Charlie Brown General 5 December 10th 05 07:40 PM
SSB radio check Your name Electronics 7 June 16th 05 03:02 AM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Lake Travis radio check [email protected] General 1 August 11th 03 10:48 PM