Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

On Jul 12, 3:24*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
...might be useful when considering
adhesives/sealants for various boat applications.

http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/sealant.asp

Nice link. Thanks.

-- Tom.
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 12, 8:25*am, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 08:28:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

*"Steve Lusardi" wrote:
I guess I do not understand your comment, as you did not include the basis
for the statement. I have used cases of the stuff and find 5200
extraordinarily useful.

Same here

wrote:
What it is NOT, is a GENERAL PURPOSE adhesive OR sealant. It should
never be used for deck hardware or fittings, as it can not be easily
removed without damaging the items it is bonding and sealing.

I agree with you, 5200 is not a GENERAL PURPOSE material.

You should have stopped right here, before your "inner stupid blowhard" took
over once again.

Guys like
you should not use it... Damaging deck hardware & fittings? WTF??!?

No, that's not what I said. Guys like you should have someone read and explain
things to you. When you bed deck hardware and fittings to a fiberglass deck or
hull surface, removing that piece without damage to the fiberglas is not always
a complete success. And if the surface is wood, you may as well have replacement
wood at the ready. It's going to make a mess.

For the rest of us, 5200 is great. Shucks, 3-M makes a huge number of
very very useful products.

Nobody said 3M doesn't make a huge number of great products. I didn't even say
that 5200 was a bad product. I plainly said that it simply isn't right for the
majority of places where ignorant buffoons and hacks such as you slather it on
things indiscriminently.- Hide quoted text -

Hello.......
Foul mouth Bob here,
I chose to NOT use 5200 to bed my through deck chain plates becuase
the 3M TDS numbers were too WEAK for my liking. I read the many,
"youre an idiot for using 5200 to bed chain plates. It will eventually
fail and will be hell to remove !"

Well after reading the test results of several products I
agree................ 5200 is weak comared to other products and will
fail. So why not use a "better" product? Duh.......

So I chose Silaprene. When I talked with their tech guy he said one of
the more common uses is glueing truck trailors togehter. extreame temp
range/vibration/expansion-contraction. Ya nkow the 40' semi boxes
rolling down the interstate at 70 mph. They dont use 3M 5200.

Now about that link from the Good old Boats.......... Why do you think
that ONLY BOat LIfe and 5200/4200 are specificly named yet no other
company products get a mention??????

No if I was bedding a below the water line through hull...........
then Id use 5200! why, cause the product is better suited for 100%
immersion. Things have come a long way since Dolphinite.

Bob

Bob

Guys like
you should not use it... Damaging deck hardware & fittings? WTF??!?

wrote:
No, that's not what I said.

Yes it is.

Maybe this will refresh your memory

wrote:
What it is NOT, is a GENERAL PURPOSE adhesive OR sealant. It should
never be used for deck hardware or fittings, as it can not be easily
removed without damaging the items it is bonding and sealing. "

See? You wrote fairly plain English. Or were the grandkids playing
with the computer again?

... When you bed deck hardware and fittings to a fiberglass deck or
hull surface, removing that piece without damage to the fiberglas is not always
a complete success.

It is if you know how.

... I plainly said that it simply isn't right for the
majority of places where ignorant buffoons and hacks such as you slather it on
things indiscriminently.

You should try to calm down and think before you post, Saltie/BB

I have used 5200 on many things, but not "indiscriminently," and never
damaged anything with it, nor damaged anything trying to remove it.

In fact, I have a hard time picturing how you could do that... you
must be a lot smarter about how to damage boats than I am. But then, I
can generally remember what I said yesterday, too.

DSK

wrote:
What it is NOT, is a GENERAL PURPOSE adhesive OR sealant. It should
never be used for deck hardware or fittings, as it can not be easily
removed without damaging the items it is bonding and sealing. "

See? You wrote fairly plain English. Or were the grandkids playing
with the computer again?

... When you bed deck hardware and fittings to a fiberglass deck or
hull surface, removing that piece without damage to the fiberglas is not always
a complete success.

It is if you know how.

Bull, unless you are in the habit of applying a layer of wax on the fiberglass
so The 5200 never actually bonds to it.

Actually, I keep a layer of wax on most of my boat's surfaces. But not
in places where fittings are mounted & bedded. Is that what you do?

My method in removing 5200 has been to use a thin blade to cut it
free, then use a small wire wheel to remove it from both surfaces.
It's time consuming, but I've only had to do this a few times. Only
once do I recall a 5200-bedded fitting leaking and requiring re-
bedding. A pretty good record IMHO.

Still, there are a lot of places that 5200 isn't really good to use.

You should try to calm down and think before you post, Saltie/BB

Yes, I should ignore trolls such as you who post only to start trouble. I hope
you can always handle what you get in return.

Are you threatening me, BB?
Waddaya gonna do, get out your phone book again?

DSK

Has anyone tried DeBond Marine Formula? I have been using it on 6 to 8
month old 5200 and it works great. Had to remove a couple of fittings that
I had installed a little to soon and had to take them off to get under them
to work. Came off the fiberglass clean with a little prying with a
screwdriver and a plastic wedge with no mess and no damage to the FRP.

Just scored around he edges with a razor knife, sprayed on the DeBond and
waited about 5 minutes. Lifted one corner with the screw driver, inserted
the wedge and lifted the other corner. I don't know how it did it but it
penetrated across both surfaces of a 3" wide area of 5200. Might take 2 or
3 applications to make it across a wider area.

Also good for cleaning up those drips that seem to leap across the boat.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote:
[...]

On Jul 13, 11:12*am, "Glenn Ashmore" wrote:
Shameless Commercial Division:http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

Are you still doing this? I can't get the site to load.

-- Tom.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Has anyone tried DeBond Marine Formula?

That's the stuff I mentioned farther up in the thread but couldn't remember
the name of. I haven't used it on 5200 but, seeing how it work on the gunk
left over after heat gunning off stripping tape that had been baking in the
sun for nearly 30 years, I can believe it will disolve anything without
harming the fiberglass. Magic stuff.

--
Roger Long

No, I need to get that off my sig. I don't post in the news groups much
anymore and forgot it was still there.

Took the web site down last month. I put up with the dollar going into the
crapper until I just couldn't afford to keep inventory. When I started 86
cents could buy a Euro. Takes twice that now. I just can't in good
conscience charge enough for them to make up for the costs. I still have 2
A80 that I will sell at cost but they are not big enough for a decent size
cruiser.

On 2008-07-13 19:36:33 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" said:

I still have 2 A80 that I will sell at cost but they are not big enough
for a decent size cruiser.

I take serious exception to the A80s (aluminum, 15#) not being big
enough for a "decent size" cruiser!

My experience has been that an A80 is significant overkill for our
lovely lady, and she's definitely decent.

They were deemed large enough for 34' or so when I got our first, I
believe conservatively.

Our A80 beat out about every opponent in widely-divergent places on the
Chesapeake over the years. The opposition, whatever was on 45-50'
cruising boats, dragged. Ours was always the "safety", but all too
often the whole raftup depended upon us in the morning.

The S80 we now have has demonstrated superior holding ability to the
A80 throughout the Chesapeake. Its astounded me, who was astounded by
the A80's capabilities.

--
Jere Lull

Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows Leonard Boat Building 5 October 19th 06 06:33 AM
Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows Leonard Cruising 2 February 4th 06 08:31 PM
Chainplates: 3M5200 v Silaprene bob Boat Building 8 October 11th 05 05:05 PM
Proper sealant use Dan Boat Building 3 June 28th 04 01:53 AM
hull sealant Fishnfella Boat Building 0 September 16th 03 01:36 AM