Default Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant experience

A buddy handed me a tube of this stuff and gave me a little sermon on
its virtues compared to 5200. Apparently it is used in the auto
industry and it sticks well to metal. Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

I guess I do not understand your comment, as you did not include the basis
for the statement. I have used cases of the stuff and find 5200
extraordinarily useful. However, it is NOT a sealant. It is a very very
tenacious, all temperature, gap filling, permanent adhesive with limited
flexibility. Used correctly, it will last longer than the boat. It is
expressly useful for adhering different materials having different expansion
coefficients.
Steve

wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:54:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

A buddy handed me a tube of this stuff and gave me a little sermon on
its virtues compared to 5200. Apparently it is used in the auto
industry and it sticks well to metal. Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

"Silaprene" is the name for about 200 different formulas, some of
which may react badly with what you are bonding, or have other issues.

That said, 5200 is not a good general purpose adhesive, either. There
are very few "good" uses for it on a boat.

You are right but, owning a boat in which 5200 was used for everything by
the PO, I think all boat owners should be required to get a note from their
mothers before being allowed to buy the stuff.

--
Roger Long

wrote:

A buddy handed me a tube of this stuff and gave me a little sermon on
its virtues compared to 5200. Apparently it is used in the auto
industry and it sticks well to metal. Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

"Silaprene" is the name for about 200 different formulas, some of
which may react badly with what you are bonding, or have other issues.

That said, 5200 is not a good general purpose adhesive, either. There
are very few "good" uses for it on a boat.

It's not a good general purpose adhesive because it's permanent. I've used
lots of it also, but only for things I don't want to ever unattach. 4200 is
better for that sort of use.

I don't believe he used the word sealant.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

There is a solvent for 5200 which is also magic for getting 30 year old
striping tape residue and similar stuff off. I forgot the exact name but it
is something like "Marine Formula". Google should turn it up.

--
Roger Long

When I replaced the gaskets on my aluminum skylights, the company insisted
that only Silaprene would do the job. I couldn't find it anywhere and
bought a tube from them for 20 bucks. So far (two seasons), no sign of the
gaskets coming loose. It's used a lot to attach window glazing into high
rise curtain walls if I remember the refererences during my search
correctly.

--
Roger Long

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:59:24 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:29:59 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

There is a solvent for 5200 which is also magic for getting 30 year old
striping tape residue and similar stuff off. I forgot the exact name but it
is something like "Marine Formula". Google should turn it up.

Like I said earlier, "some" vasectomies are reversable.

You can't count on it, though.

I would also wonder what effects a solvent for 5200 might have on
fiberglass, and other materials that it might contact. Do they claim
it will penetrate deeply and release 5200 that is holding something
such as a chainplate? I'd just as soon use something that doesn't
leave a question that may have an unhappy answer later - far from
port. It's not as if there aren't proper alternatives.

How about getting specific?
Like where you use 5200 as an adhesive and where you use something
else.
Same use of a one-for-all solution happens a lot on the automotive
side. Since Blue RTV came out it's found it stuck between every part
put together by some mechanics, whether it serves a useful purpose or
not.
I promise not to mention WD-40 - or MSD's.
Personally, I'm pretty particular about lubricants and caulks, but
sometimes slip with the small squeeze tube stuff, because it's prone
to harden up after being opened.

--Vic
Bob Bob is offline

On Jul 8, 8:54*am, " wrote:
*Has anyone here been using it
on boats and if so how's it holding up?

-- Tom.

YES,

A few years ago I needed to rebed my chain plates.They were the
through the deck type. What caught my eye was a brief reference I read
to an aritcle in some small boating magizine to Silaprene and its
virtues. I researched Silaprene extensivily for a couple months
talking to both their tech guys and Dow Corning, 3M, and a bunch of
other tech guys.

I posted my finding here. Just do a search and youll find all the Lap
Strength.... Elongation..... etc specs.

Bottom line is Silaprene is vastly superior to many adhesive typically
used for chain plate to fiber glass bedding.

Now comes the phiosophy arguments:
1) NEVER USE 5200 or others to seal becuase its so terrible to remove.
Because it WILL fail.

To that I say based on my application and product specs the reason why
5200 fails is because it is not designed for that application and is
simply not tuff enough for the job.

When you look up the numbers on the product youll find that Silaprene
has a higher temp range than 5200. What the big deal with that? Temp
on decks on a sunny day can EXCEED the temp range for 5200 and it DOES
fail unlike Silaprene .
SInce I have redesigned my trough deck chain plate and used Silaprene
its been dry as a bone but mine is only about a 3 year study. However,
if you actuyally do the reasearch and compare the SPECS of each of the
more common sealants I bet you draw the sam conclussion as I.

I may have plsted in RBbuilding and not RBC I cant remember. But its
all there.........
Bob
PS have you noticed that several people posted here but none answered
your question. They fixated on 5200 prob because that is all they
know.

This makes good sense with what I heard from the skylight people (Atkins
Hoyle) since metal skylight frames can get pretty damn hot.

Do you know a source for Silaprene? I was unable to find it anywhere other
than wholesale quantities except from Atkins Hoyle.

--
Roger Long

On Jul 8, 12:31*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
When *I replaced the gaskets on my aluminum skylights, the company insisted
that only Silaprene would do the job. *I couldn't find it anywhere and
bought a tube from them for 20 bucks. *So far (two seasons), no sign of the
gaskets coming loose. *It's used a lot to attach window glazing into high
rise curtain walls if I remember the refererences during my search
correctly.

--
Roger Long

Thanks for that. I googled Silaprene and the prices are all over the
place but you can get it for about $9 a tube plus shipping. AFIK, it
seems to mostly be an automotive product. So, my worry is that it
might not really be up to long term immersion... Good to hear that it
works on your skylights.

-- Tom.

Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows Leonard Boat Building 5 October 19th 06 06:33 AM
Adhesive/Sealant for Lexan Windows Leonard Cruising 2 February 4th 06 07:31 PM
Chainplates: 3M5200 v Silaprene bob Boat Building 8 October 11th 05 05:05 PM
Proper sealant use Dan Boat Building 3 June 28th 04 01:53 AM
hull sealant Fishnfella Boat Building 0 September 16th 03 01:36 AM